• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Google has been getting more and more invasive. First they willingly turn over everything they can to the NSA and then proudly exclaim how much data they turned over. That was pretty bad in my book, I should have left them then. Now I try to comment on a relaoding video on youtube and suddenly I'm TOLD I need to comment with my full name and no longer the internet nickname I've used for ages? This is ridiculous. I know the NSA can link everything to my actual name but I sure as hell don't want random people on youtube to have the same luxury.

I'm now currently in the process of downloading Mozilla again (and probably grabbing one of the privacy plugins that people are now putting out for it). I'm am going to no longer search the internet using google (I should have started using Startpage.com a long time ago when I found out about it). As soon as it comes out of beta testing I will also use startmail and gladly pay the fee they will charge. I'm even tempted to sell my Android (Galaxy SII that I paid full price for) and switch to an Iphone or maybe even just go back to a good old dumb phone (if its even possible anymore). I have been a computer nerd all my life and have been using google since I could remember (back in the days of the slogal "do no evil") but enough is enough I refuse to let these people destroy my privacy and anonymity. If I had the money I swear I would just start a farm somewhere a just sustain myself on that with no tech ties to the outside world.

/end rant

Anyone else sick and freaking tired of technology taking over our lives?
    Military Camp

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    As long as you don't "Google" Texas, Guns, Liberty, Tea Party, Pick Up Truck, Constitution, Patriot, Rule of Law, Bible, Christian, Right to Life, and Bomb-Making, you should be good to go!

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Lol, google has been crap for a very long time.

Don't forget that if you use an android phone, they will be happy to give your location and anything on it to the feds too.

Of course, apple logs your phone's location and keeps it easily accessible to anyone who wants to plug it into a reader and download your location history. Probably get all sorts of other data off it too. And having a password on the phone won't help.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Google's ball and they make (and change) the rules at their whim. Their PicasaWeb was once great for photos, particularly handy for keeping clients updated on their projects progress, until G+ came out. Now Google unilaterally decided to redirect all PicaasWeb photo links through their G+ banner crapola trying to get folks to sign up. You can kludge it by adding a noredirect=1 in any link to a photo you send, but that is a royal PITA.

I get it that's it's a free service, but I would rather pay for the ability to do it the way I want rather than having my cheese continually moved, and being forced to jump through Google' hoops whenever they feel like moving it.

I'm fed up with them, and their insidious, unrelenting data revenue shennagins at the expense of privacy, myself.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Google's ball and they make (and change) the rules at their whim. Their PicasaWeb was once great for photos, particularly handy for keeping clients updated on their projects progress, until G+ came out. Now Google unilaterally decided to redirect all PicaasWeb photo links through their G+ banner crapola trying to get folks to sign up. You can kludge it by adding a noredirect=1 in any link to a photo you send, but that is a royal PITA.

I get it that's it's a free service, but I would rather pay for the ability to do it the way I want rather than having my cheese continually moved, and being forced to jump through Google' hoops whenever they feel like moving it.

I'm fed up with them, and their insidious, unrelenting data revenue shennagins at the expense of privacy, myself.

They've destroyed several really good services to prop up G+

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park

Same thing as startpage.com For others this is a service that uses google results but runs you through a proxy and doesn't log anything

Yea I have been thinking of going to something else besides Gmail too. I just dont know where to go is the thing.....research time is upon me!

Startpage/Ixquick is currently beta testing startmail.com. Once its up it will be fully encrypted and they don't record or sell your info. It will have a monthly fee but I'd rather pay for a modicum of privacy. Theres also lots of plugins for Mozilla that allow you to block google ad service and any google logging (which is present on nearly every site on the internet including this site). There are also apps for android that will block alot of things (not sure about GPS).

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    If they accept pay from pre-paid cards you'd have the start to a pretty damn private email...

I have little doubt they would accept just about any form of payment including bitcoins if you wanted to go that route, maybe even gold.

And you are welcome Breakingcontact. I've been meaning to switch to them for a while (as well as all the other privacy stuff) but have been lazy. Doing all the stuff I did only took me about an hour or so to get it all setup. In terms of privacy mozilla plugins I'm trying out DoNotTrackMe from abine. Seems pretty nifty so far, tells you what all its blocking (which as I said is mostly Google lol). Also using FoxyProxy but am still learning how to use it properly. Soon as I get my SII fixed (cracked my top glass and while trying to replace it my cat knocked it off the counter and broke the LED/Digitizer screen, little asshat cost me 120 bucks...dumb cat) I'll be giving some of the privacy apps a shot and will post my results.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Every time I used Google, my virus program lit up. The bums stuff tracking cookies in your computer from everywhere in Google!

Flash

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    My issue is two fold; I have used my gmail address for years, and I hate having to send messages to everyone to change it. Many people don't make the change in their records when they receive the message with that change.

My second issue is that Google synchronizes across all of my platforms, tablet, smartphone, laptop, and any computer. That includes my calendar, contacts, etc. If there was a seamless way to do all of that other than Google......

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    My issue is two fold; I have used my gmail address for years, and I hate having to send messages to everyone to change it. Many people don't make the change in their records when they receive the message with that change.

My second issue is that Google synchronizes across all of my platforms, tablet, smartphone, laptop, and any computer. That includes my calendar, contacts, etc. If there was a seamless way to do all of that other than Google......

DNT has a free optio n to use "Mask Me" still use your old email address but scrambles the address they see.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom