• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    I just got back from shooting at Reds and read this. Glad you got a job Alan. Had I known, I would have asked for you.

Man, it was a Zoo down there. I had just put a new scope on my HK G3 and a new trigger on my Mauser, so I wanted to sight the scope in and try the trigger. The place was PACKED with a couple of people trying rapid fire with a very loud sounding handguns. Two lanes down from me, two guys were screaming at each other in Spanish. Every lane was full.

I didn't have a single target that didn't get hit by other people. My targets were down at 100 yards and were taking hits from floor ricochets from the people shooting handguns at 7 yards. Every time I tried for a group, some handgun fragment would hit my target. One fragment even broke one of the pegs that holds the target. I got charged $1 for that peg !

Too many people (spectators blocking up the space behind the lanes).
    Too little space + guns.
    It makes me claustrophobic.

Note to self - Only go to Reds in the weekday evenings.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I saw only one G3, it was green with wood stocks and black barrel. If that was you, I was the guy that told you it looked good when I walked by.

Today was hell, we were 2 people short, and the range was pandemonium. Typically I try to put the rifles together so you don't have to deal with all the constant handgun fire, etc. Unfortunately sometimes you aren't left with a choice on the lane.

When we get the groups of people it's really bad, we try to limit it to 2 people per lane, but they tend to just stand in the middle, and there isn't much room to begin with.

SteveW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    That was me. Nice to meet you !

Here is what I had with me. I just bought a Burris 3-9x40 Tactical to replace the Bushnell and wanted to sight it in. The Mauser now has a Huber Concepts trigger.

I find myself lugging a front rest with me as well as the ones on the benches at Reds are just plain broken. Are there spotting scopes any more ? They used to be screwed to the lane partitions. I just don't see them any more. I have been going to Reds for the entire time I have lived in Texas (10 years) and it just feels like it's going downhill a little.

The Bushnell went here :

S.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I'd rather not get too far into it.

The Red's rests are kinda old and some don't work too well, but I personally think it's worth the investment to have your own.

As far as the spotting scope, next time hit me up and I'll find you something. We have one under the table in the range office.

Top Bottom