• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lifhapnz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Hi everyone, My name is Jim Heins, and I'd like to relocate from Constantia, NY to somewhere in Texas permanently. I have a BA in Geology, I'm well versed in multiple forms of communication mediums, I'm strong, hard working and can learn just about any job you have to offer. I'm tired of living in this liberally run state. I'd like to be out of here no later than May or June of this year. I'm totally serious about this. BTW, if it matters, I'm 50 years old and an Army Veteran. If you have any job advice or offers, please contact me at lifhapnz@hotmail.com
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Do what I do: Search through careerbuilder.com, monster.com, simplyhired.com, indeed.com, and workintexas.com. I'm sure any city or town in Texas will be better than NY.

As long as you don't bring any liberal values with you or any friends who have liberal values... I guess you're welcome. Lol :cool:

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    geologists are hot in oil/gas right now. i'd look into Houston or Corpus Christi. get over here as fast as you can.

and thank you for your service!

itsawondertoo

Semper Fi! Don't make me use my knife hands!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Katy, TX
    Welcome aboard from Katy, TX! The oil patch people in Texas hire lots of geologists, geophysicists, and seismologists. That whole "fracking" thing has been very good for the "rock" people! Good luck in your quest!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Howdy, and don't let the liberal left New York door hit you on your A$$ as you flee that loathsome State of incompetence.

FiremanLyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Round Rock
    Jim, Welcome.

As another transplanted (Pennsylvania) military vet, let me say thanks for your service and come on down to Texas. Few things you'll have to learn.

Texans are proud to be Texans. I thought it to be a severe case of narcissism, but once you comprehend what Texas is it becomes abnormal not to be proud to be a Texan. Texas flags everywhere (tell me how many people on your block fly a New York State flag), tattoos, Texas Native license plates... It is all good.

BBQ is not just tossing some meat on the grill. That is grilling, BBQ is its own cuisine; brisket, ribs sausage... and it is awesome.

Dr. Pepper is the national soda. It is strange now when I go visit family in PA and can't score a DP.

No Yuengling. The gravest downfall of this great state is not being able to order a proper Lager.

Pickup trucks are as common in Texas as a Honda Civic is in the North East.

Texans don't think a 4 hour drive is far. In the North East, if someone asked you if you'll drive 4 hours, you would be in another state. From Central Texas it is a good 8 hours to make it to the next state.

You'll enjoy shorts year round. Texans think it is cold if it gets below 50. That is just perfect shorts and sweatshirt weather to me.

110 degree weather for weeks in a row sucks. No sugar coating that one.

Only have to file Federal Taxes each year. No State income tax. (Gee, wonder why people are doing better down here?)

You'll become quick at identifying a Texas Longhorn or an Aggie... and also spotting other Texas college alumni who think both are crazy.

These are some of my observations that come to mind, a bunch more but I think it is a good start.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Come on down. If you take some time to learn the culture folks here will welcome you. I read in the paper this morning that unemployment is down to 6% or so. Seems like if you want and job you can find one.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Jim, thanks for joining us! We'd certainly love to have you down here! The more freedom loving Americans here in Texas, the better. :-)

Mr. Bojangles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Humble
    I'm in the geochemical industry and there are plenty of geologists that work with us. As others have already stated, there's always work here in anything related to hydrocarbons.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Austin
    Jim, Welcome.

As another transplanted (Pennsylvania) military vet, let me say thanks for your service and come on down to Texas. Few things you'll have to learn.

Texans are proud to be Texans. I thought it to be a severe case of narcissism, but once you comprehend what Texas is it becomes abnormal not to be proud to be a Texan. Texas flags everywhere (tell me how many people on your block fly a New York State flag), tattoos, Texas Native license plates... It is all good.

BBQ is not just tossing some meat on the grill. That is grilling, BBQ is its own cuisine; brisket, ribs sausage... and it is awesome.

Dr. Pepper is the national soda. It is strange now when I go visit family in PA and can't score a DP.

No Yuengling. The gravest downfall of this great state is not being able to order a proper Lager.

Pickup trucks are as common in Texas as a Honda Civic is in the North East.

Texans don't think a 4 hour drive is far. In the North East, if someone asked you if you'll drive 4 hours, you would be in another state. From Central Texas it is a good 8 hours to make it to the next state.

You'll enjoy shorts year round. Texans think it is cold if it gets below 50. That is just perfect shorts and sweatshirt weather to me.

110 degree weather for weeks in a row sucks. No sugar coating that one.

Only have to file Federal Taxes each year. No State income tax. (Gee, wonder why people are doing better down here?)

You'll become quick at identifying a Texas Longhorn or an Aggie... and also spotting other Texas college alumni who think both are crazy.

These are some of my observations that come to mind, a bunch more but I think it is a good start.

As a former resident of Michigan, I can second all of this. The first time a friend said we were going for BBQ I said "BBQ is a verb....". Boy was I wrong, BBQ is a very tasty noun!

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    We have a special bumper sticker for transplants. It reads "I'm not from Texas but I got here as fast as I could". We welcome everyone. I know it's hard to leave ones home but I do believe you'll love it here. Although I must say upstate NY is some of the most beautiful country I have seen Texas has everything from desert to the coast and everything in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom