Join TexasGunTalk

Im glad to see this...thoughts from everyone?? (ATX open carry at Starbucks)

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by austinbirdnut, Sep 13, 2013.

1. austinbirdnut

austinbirdnut Active Member

2. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Hmm... Two people arrested for disorderly conduct? Are these the same folks who were cited for disorderly conduct in San Antonio last month?

3. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon TGT Addict

Starbucks is definitely a gun-friendly establishment. I've never had an objection from any of their employees when I happen to drop in, open carrying, for a coffee and snack during the day. Nevada allows open carry of pistols and I exercise that right as much as possible.

4. mosin

mosin Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    the arrests were over people OCing handguns, but they werent "handguns" they were black powder revolvers which are exempted. To lazy to dig the video up but it was funny at one point they got the cop to read the law handed to him by one of the bystanders. He was reading it loudly then hit the exemption and suddenly got all quiet. They still arrested them of course though, gotta respect muh authori-tie I suppose.

5. Shotgun Jeremy

Shotgun Jeremy TGT Addict

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    Starbucks as a corporation is very gun friendly. However, OpenCarryTexas has had problems with a few centex locations. One I remember in particular let the four of them purchase their drinks, then they go outside and sit with nobody else around, and the manager asks them to leave.

6. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It was a perfectly lawful arrest in San Antonio. I find it funny the guy in the crowd crying, wrongly, about the sixth amendment. They also did not know the disorderly conduct law well. While the Trooper had PC to believe the handgun was a firearm, even if it is not the gun is a deadly weapon; therefore, it is subject to disorderly conduct.

7. Green-Harley

Green-Harley New Member

Aug 4, 2013
    The arrests in San Antonio were for rifles which were on slings over their shoulders. The black powder revolver arrests were in Austin and the revolvers were all holstered. How do slung rifles and holstered revolvers fall under disorderly conduct?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  8. mosin

mosin Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Do a little more research before jumping in. My comments had nothing to do with the guy in San Antonio. Yes the guy was wrong about the sixth amendment, however when you hand a police officer a copy of a law proving him wrong and he gets all shaky and quiet yet follows through on the arrest there is something wrong. You can't just claim he was ignorant or had probable cause after being handed the statute and even reading it out loud only to hush when he realizes his mistake upon reaching the black powder exemption. He was to proud to admit he screwed up and came across like a jackass in my opinion.

Personally I don't care about open carry, I dont even own a pistol and probably never will. I'll even go so far as to say this guy was definitely baiting the officer. The thing is though if he isn't breaking a law, and the statute is even provided to the officer stating that, then there is no reason for the arrest. I guess when you have a million laws on the books it doesn't matter though, everyone is always breaking something.

9. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    How can you know if the guy being arrested intended to cause alarm?

10. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Gotcha. Getting my towns mixed up. My statements stand for the handgun.