• ...and so much more!
  • SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Now....this made me think of something.

My wife was the ultimate animal wisperer. I'm pretty darn good, and I play with wild things. My wife's favorite saying : " We're not keeping it. " Anyway, between the wild animals I brought in, we had a couple of dogs and cats and an iguana I caught.

Mama only had one rule; you all have to get along. I don't know how she conveyed that, but they damn sure knew.

Anyway, I had caught a baby speckled king snake and had it out. It had wrapped up in my fingers and went to sleep, I , oops , did the same.

Sooo, Trixie was my wife's cat, Abby was my dog. ( They were all in the same house, but animals pick their favorite .) Soooo, picture this: Abby is sitting in the doorway between the living room and kitchen facing the kitchen . The speckled king is behind Abby. Trixie is behind it.

So Trixie paws the snake, the snake bites the dog, who turns around, and Trixie is like "what?" Dog turns back around......well, this went on and on and on until I went and got the snake.

Holy mistaken identity Batman. Dog thought it was the cat, snake thought it was the dog, cat thought it was funny as hell. Anyone who says cats aren't evil, hasn't owned one .

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Many years ago my grandma gave us a Siamese kitten. We bought her home. No one thought to tell our mom. She came home from work at midnight and sat down on the bed to get undressed. Kat, the kitten, reached out with both paws and grabbed her ankles.

The whole house heard the scream. Mom wasn't happy. She became Kat's favorite.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Damn!!! Sorry, crap got mixed up. Oscar is a Texas ratsnake, now reclassified as a Western rat snake , but , even though Oscar is technically a female WRS, she's still Oscar , and a TEXAS ratsnake.

Had a corn snake as a pet once. Very docile, very pretty. He got loose out of his terrarium, never to be seen again.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Was sitting in my chair while the kids played a board game.

Dog started raising hell. She had spotted a scorpion going under the board game box. Scorpion got squashed. Dog got a treat and then hopped up in the chair with me and resumed her duties. Dogs have purpose, even a young mutt.

View attachment 149468

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Damn straight.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Hmmmm....I wouldn't want to come near him. Getting licked to death is a horrible way to die.

I usually don't argue a point unless I am extremely confident on my knowledge. Continued arguing on my point just means you are wrong, and I want evidence to prove me wrong, ( other than flapping gums.)

None of this^^^^ is directed directly at you. Turns out, even the guys smarter than you and me can't agree on the actual cause of the Florida invasion. Curiously, though a python or two was found before Andrew, the evidence of a reproducing population and problem only came years after. I'll call it a draw, I don't have the tech skills to post links, but even if I did, in this case, it's just to close to call. So, either one of us could be right.

But what is not right..... degrading responsible ownership of a pet just because it doesn't agree with you.

WTF? It's guns that cause all the problems. What good are guns anyway?

See, it's not OK to demean people who's hobby doesn't perfectly align with yours. I've had way more dogs and cats than I have snakes, so I only said that to try to get snake haters to try and get an idea of what it felt like to have your pet of choice dissed.

Personally, I think anyone who wants to piss on another man's choice of pets without ever owning one, ought to be deported back to California.
    That's all well and good, truly. However, you need to accept and understand that FAR more folks will be unwilling to come to your home to visit (because of the snakes) than will be unwilling to come to my home to visit (because of the dogs). It just is what it is. :meh: Having said that, I'm quite sure that you could state that (1) you don't want anyone over at your home, or (2) you don't want anyone over at your home who doesn't like snakes, or (3) you know lots of folks who like snakes, or (4) you like turtles. So, snake charm all you like--and enjoy yourself; however, that doesn't obviate the point that snakes are a bigger turnoff for the average person than are dogs. :cheers:

Last edited:

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Peanutbutter hated water. We would have to bathe him when he got nasty and it was like trying to bathe a cat.

We had another duck that loved hanging out in the kiddie pool.

Peanut butter would let you pet him, then all of sudden, bite the crap out of you. He would also get in a mood, and chase you.

Once, he chased my wife into the house, the dog came up and bit him on the ass, or she might not have made it. I snapped pictures of it, if I can find them, I'll post them up.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    You know, these rats remind me of some dogs. They come to see me, but they expect a treat every time they do. Unfortunately, I am so soft hearted they usually do.

Anyway, with the current open door on Mike and Molly's cage, it made me think of Tater.

At 11:30 one night, I see an armadillo walking across the back yard. I catch it, and build a cage for it, with a tote buried underground so it can't dig out. Of course it makes a little burrow and settles in.

After awhile, an armadillo gets used to it's burrow, and so if you let it out, and if it gets scared, it runs right back in the cage and into that burrow. I had the backyard escape proof, but I overlooked one thing: access to the underside of the sheds.

One day, Tater got scared and ran under a shed. I knew immediately that was the end of caging him. We kept him for a long time after that. His favorite snack was Canadian nightcrawlers. My wife would call him and he would come out from under the shed, she'd give him a nightcrawler and pet him.

We would put his food in his old food bowl in the cage, and he would go in every night to eat, with one eye out for anyone that might shut the door on him.

Unfortunately, where he made his new home was prone to flooding, and, the night before a torrential downpour was the last time we saw him. I think he drowned in his sleep.

If I have related this before, I apologize for repeating it, my memory is not what it used to be.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    BTW, Molly is pretty skittish. One little sound or move sends her running. She runs when I try to pet her most of the time. So, imagine my surprise, when I nearly beat her to death, knocked her to the ground, and she just kept coming and coming, trying to get on the TV tray, the ONE place off-limits to rats!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom