Target Sports

I'm looking for good reasons to own a 1911, what are they?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boldkharma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Plano
    Does that mean they are for show and not go???

All my pistols can "go" if that is what you mean? There are some that I take care of more from an aesthetics point of view. I am not sure I understand the question? As I said, I shoot and carry all of my pistols.
    Capitol Armory ad

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Well, they are expensive and I'm anal. If I scratch my Glock no problem, If I scratch my Dan Wessons I get depressed. I'm sure I am not the only one like that : ) I still carry them sometimes.
    I think I'm that way, but in reality I'm not.

Got a nice new(ish) truck. Washed it twice in three years.

Built that 1911 in the Bob Marvel class. $4000. Carried in a quick draw holster (doesn't cover the muzzle). Sat on the concrete warehouse floor to look under the truck or tractor or forklift or something. I could hear the muzzle scraping against the concrete. I thought 1) I don't even want to look at what that sound was, 2) Since I never really finished the polish of the gun, just the fitting, I guess I can just buff that out too, and 3) maybe it's just building character and personality.

I also still have the "oops" mark when the Foredom tool slipped up the dust cover and "signed" the side of the slide. I could buff that out easily too but I never did. Gun shoots and cycles like a dream. Feels amazing. Works amazingly. Just doesn't look as pretty as it could.

Tempted to make an analogy there, but I'll stop.

Boldkharma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Plano
    pretty blue Colt that I carry ll the time. It doesn't mean I want to scratch it : )

gQJOkn4.jpg

Attachments

• gQJOkn4.jpg
      gQJOkn4.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 574
    Last edited:

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    It's a Remington so it's crappy enough to not care, but has a match barrel bushing and shoots lights out. I guess even Remington can make something that works occasionally.
    20210130_184108.jpg

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    The only plastic that belongs in a pistol is a credit card!

Army1911,

I like plastic grips on a GI 1911A1, as that's what they came with from the makers after 1944-45.

That said, MY 1911 has "swirl figure" ROSEWOOD 'cause they were just too PURTY to leave at the show.

yours, satx

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    As one of the Elders on here, I've been fooling with 1911's for a long, long time. Dad brought his service pistol and a big bunch of spare everything's home when I was a baby. Gun was a Colt original, all matching, Parkerized, no damage. When Dad died, I had the smiths at McBride's inspect it and replace everything w/o serial numbers, including a minor accurizing & trigger job. Big Grandson, the Engineer, up in Dallas has it, still shoots well. The only 1911 I have today is the Kimber UCDP which I carry some on weekends. KImber is pretty, but it just isn't a COLT. Wish I hadn't lost my Gold Cup when that sailboat capsized back in 1974. One more thing: I find it a lot easier to concealed-carry a full size 1911 than the Commander type. leVieux

Top Bottom