DK Firearms

I'm looking for good reasons to own a 1911, what are they?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Over the years Remington has produced millions of excellent firearms.. wasn't till the buy-outs and poor management of the last ten years they had problems... their 1911 is a nice piece of work.. own 2 , never a problem. Perhaps like a phoenix they will rise again... maybe.
    I whole heartedly agree. The R1 was made during the shit days, but somehow these slipped by and were made by people who cared. It definitely passes the shake test, and the barrel bushing is so tight, you have to use the tool to move it. It's sad to see them in their current state after a long legacy of 870's, 1100's, and 700's.
    DK Firearms

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    My XP-100 and my Wichita pistols, both with sub-2 oz triggers, might change your mind.

Except that the most precise users of 1911s, the bullseye crowd, generally favor roll triggers on their 1911s. Roll triggers are the opposite of crisp; they are nothing but creep. It's glass-smooth creep but creep nevertheless; the pistol fires somewhere along the way as the trigger travels rearward. According to every major player in that game, once you learn to shoot one, crisp triggers seem utterly wrong for any precise shooting.

IMO, between the perfect-for-the-task ergonomics and the ability to incorporate a good roll trigger, there's no better one-handed, big bore target pistol than the 1911.

While that sounds very sweet, I say again to each his own. For me, it is possible to have a trigger that is too light. Due to my advanced state of years, my hands are not as steady as they once were. :D

Leadeye

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 29, 2020
    Great Southern Forest of Indiana
    My XP-100 and my Wichita pistols, both with sub-2 oz triggers, might change your mind.

Except that the most precise users of 1911s, the bullseye crowd, generally favor roll triggers on their 1911s. Roll triggers are the opposite of crisp; they are nothing but creep. It's glass-smooth creep but creep nevertheless; the pistol fires somewhere along the way as the trigger travels rearward. According to every major player in that game, once you learn to shoot one, crisp triggers seem utterly wrong for any precise shooting.

IMO, between the perfect-for-the-task ergonomics and the ability to incorporate a good roll trigger, there's no better one-handed, big bore target pistol than the 1911.

Sounds like the trigger on Broomhandles.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    2oz or 2lb? I think the lightest trigger I've ever used was a 2.5lb

Could be either, but on that particular gun, I am going to assume he meant 2 ounces. More than few few people who target shoot, use triggers that measure in ounces, rather than pounds.

Any trigger that can be adjusted to anywhere under a pound, is pretty much one that you can breathe on and have the gun fire!

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I have a Smith and Wesson model 29-2 with a target trigger. I don’t have a trigger gauge, but in single action it is well under 1lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    A bit of back story. I've owned a couple 1911s, one was sold to a friend a long time ago, and the other I sold to a member on this forum. It was also the service pistol when I was in the Navy. So I'm not un-familiar with them. I don't have one at the moment due to the difficulty of field strip and assembly of, using only one hand. There are many pistols on the market that are Much, much easier for me in that regard. And the fact that I tend to tear up my shooting hand thumb by habitually pulling it against the slide while I "ride" the thumb safety. It was ingrained into me to always have my thumb on that safety, so I do. And this is the only pistol I'll do that with.

But....you see...I was stoopid enough to put a Moonpie owned .38 Super in my hand.... and I was once again....stoopid, and dry fired it. Felt good and felt natural...

*(This section has been censored due to incomprehensible grumbling, mumbling, and various tones of vulgarity)*

Now, I'm trying to figure out if I really want to fall back into the umpteen gazillion dollar world of the single stack attack. And trying to find the pieces parts when they go flying into the unknown and or depths of hell.
    You need a wife too. When I can't find those parts that just want to be free. I turn it over to my wife. She has eyes like a hawk and by the time I describe what I'm looking for she usually has already found it.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Great, now I gotta buy two of 'em, and a crossdraw holster. Plus twice the pieces parts to lose...

Ya' ain't helpin' Charlie :D
    You could carry a thirty pack
    What do you mean "justification"?

I am a "War Baby" and grew-up with 1911's. Dad had boxes of spare parts and ammo. We had other types of handguns, but the .45 ACP Colt 1911 was the "bestest". Later, when I was a U S Army Officer, we were switching from the 1911's to the Beretta 92's, but since I wasn't in a "combat unit", I was allowed to keep a 1911, bought some of my own, had endless "free ammo". I just happen to be carrying a .45 Kimber UCDP today, first time I've carried a 1911 in months. Like an Old Friend, fits my hand, controls come naturally, and I can do my own "trouble shooting" if needed. When afield, I always have at least one .45 on me. Just a classic, but still a great piece. Plan to give Dad's wartime Colt to a Grandson soon, the Texas Grandson. Gee, I'm just going-on & on. Reminiscing comes easily at age 76. leVieux
    Reminiscing comes easily at age 76

Yes, it comes easy at 73 too, but what did she send me to buy.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >

BECAUSE:

The John Browning Model 1911 is one "historical artifact" which seems to defy time and ageing, it remains very competitive with the most modern handguns.

All more recent effective "improvements" involve metallurgy & machining techniques, not the basic design.

And, the availability of parts, mods, accessories, holsters, and local gunsmiths' skills remains unmatched.

The COLT "Gold Cup" of the 1970's is still much better than any modern "Kimber" !

One lesson from this old 1911'er: Use "Ball" ammo for reliability !

leVieux

Asymmetrical

The harmony of the Pen and the Sword
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2018
    Texas
    There's a plethora of reasons to own a 1911, but the most important is because you want one. I bought my first one back in the 1990s and ain't looked back since. I'm a Colt guy from way back, and don't regret a single one of the 1911s I currently have, despite all the hate I see on the Internet.
    I've found that most, in fact that vast majority, of Internet "experts" haven't put enough rounds downrange to make an informed judgment abut any brand or type of pistol, or provide any information about them that I would fine useful.
    With that in mind, go with what strikes your fancy and damn the haters.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    There's a plethora of reasons to own a 1911,...
    ...With that in mind, go with what strikes your fancy and damn the haters.

The last thing I'm going to worry about is, what some idjut internet mall ninja has to say about my choice in firearms, when my ass is on the line.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom