Join TexasGunTalk

I'm looking for good reasons to own a 1911, what are they?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Byrd666, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I've got a Defender (small 1911) with a red dot grip thingy and it works great!

Byrd666 likes this.
  2. MTA89

MTA89 The Mulleteer TGT Supporter

Mar 10, 2017
    Texoma
    Idk if it counts but I carry a sig p938 during the summer and its outstanding. Highly recommend

Byrd666 and whittsailor like this.
  3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Reason #143: they come in all sizes

20191017_201625~2.jpg

4. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    You've got one of the good ones.

They did make some nice looking 1911's.

Byrd666 likes this.
  5. OLDVET

OLDVET Well-Known

Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I haven't read through this whole thread, but a pistol does not remain one of Americas favorite firearms by accident. I currently own around twenty 1911s from various manufacturers. Some are better than the others, but everyone is a fine firearm. You can pay several thousand for a "custom" 1911 or you can pay $500 for one that gets the job done and leaves you money to buy other things.
    The 1911 is like a small block Chevy engine, there are a myriad of aftermarket products out there to make your 1911 anything you like.
    I think Springfield offers the best 1911s for the price. Colt and Kimber are nice, but they will run you a few more dollars to buy. My stainless Wilson Classic is by far the best 1911 I own. It should be, it cost $2,850.
    My advice is to buy the best 1911 you can afford. Later on if you decide to upgrade it, you can tweak it so it becomes your baby.
    I have been a 1911 fan since my Army days back in 1968. Like them then. Love them now.

Attached Files:

6. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

I accomplished a one handed 1911 disassembly and reassembly today. Two actually, because when I finished the Rock Island 10 mm, I moved to the Springfield Range Officer Champion. The Rock Island is so heavy that the frame will stand up by itself while putting the slide back on. I had to get pretty creative to hold the Springfield frame upright while putting the slide on.

Both of my bull barreled 1911’s have a small hole in the guide rod to insert a pin and hold the spring tension while disassembling. So I simply locked the slide back, and inserted a straightened out paper clip into the retention hole and wrapped the rest of the paper clip around the guide rod to hold it in place. Then I hit the slide release and let the paper clip hold the spring tension. After that, almost everything else was easily accomplished one handed.

I say almost because I had a bone head moment. In order to lock the slide back one handed, I inserted an empty magazine, then held the rear sight against my belt and pushed the frame downward. When I tried to remove the slide, it wouldn’t go past the normal battery position. It took me a couple seconds to figure out the magazine was still in the frame and stopping the slide from moving forward. I don’t normally have a magazine inserted while disassembling, so it never registered that I needed to remove it. Reassembly was simply a matter of backtracking what I did for disassembly.

Now I can honestly recommend a bull barreled 1911 for you if you wish to join the 1911 club. I can also say it’s even easier with a solid steel 2011.

Dad_Roman and ZX9RCAM like this.
  7. BMF500

BMF500 Matthew 10:34 TGT Supporter

Aug 21, 2019
    Pattison
    I just read 15 pages of 'Merica!

Big Green, FireInTheWire and Reinz like this.
  8. Army 1911

Army 1911 TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The number one reason to own a 1911 is

It's not a Glock!

roadrunner, Ole Cowboy, oldag and 4 others like this.
  9. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere TGT Supporter

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    TxStetson - I Thank You for attempting that. The next time I'm at a shop that carries various 1911s, I'll see what I can't do about testing that out. A side by side with to a G.I. model and see which leaves me with the most parts, and the lowest blood pressure.

TxStetson likes this.
  10. rmantoo

rmantoo Cranky old fart: Pull my finger

Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    One of my personal loves about the 1911 is that for a very small amount of effort (an hour if you're quick, 3-5 if you are a noob and take your time) you can have one of the best trigger pulls of ANY platform. Likewise, regardless of the initial price of the 1911, you can still have an absolutely AMAZING trigger pull.

Rock Island Armory, Metro Arms, or Ruger...or ANY brand, if the trigger isn't superlative to begin with, for the price of a cheap Harbor Freight file and a few hours, it easily can be.

Pretty easy to make the cheapest 1911s trigger feel and work almost as well as $6k custom jobs.