Military Camp

I'm looking for good reasons to own a 1911, what are they?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    OP just needs to get one.
    Shoot it for a while.
    Figure out what you like and don’t like about it.
    Build one like you want.
    Much like AR’s there are a gazillion ways to fit yours out.

I am in the process of doing just that. This thread has a lot to do with that. And while this thread was not started for ideas, or leads to them (It truly was started to find out why folks buy/get them.), it has given me some food for thought. Ya know, buy once, cry once.

Last edited:

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    for the record, i bought one because i wanted to be like texasredneck.
    then i found a pretty little short girl.
    then i traded it for an engagement ring.
    then a year or two after the wedding, i bought another one because i wanted to be like texasredneck.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Title pretty much sums it up. I'd just like to hear y'all's reasoning or justification for owning one.
    Do I really need a reason or a justification to own a 1911. Jeesh, how liberal can you get? I got em cause I wanted em - needed no rhyme nor reason nor justification, just got em. Have had some fun with them but probably would never carry one on a regular basis unless it was the Zombie Apocalypse and none of my preferred carry handguns were available.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    "i wanted to be like texasredneck"
    Joking, right?

LMAO, NO COMMENT

but to be fair, when i started here i lived in a shitty apartment, alone, with 0 prospects and no discernible direction in life.

now i am a homeowner with a cute wife and strong son, and a decent pile of guns in the closet.
    I put alot of that down to the things i have learned reading this forum, my dad taught me a lot, but i learned just as much about being a good man, and a good Texan (what to do, and what not to do) from the community we have here.

but i admit, i have been slacking... i still only have the one 1911 and no deer lease.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I have a no frills Springfield GI model in 45acp.

Its not a match gun, but it shoots well at 30 yards and under. It has stock sights, trigger, but match stainless barrel as standard on their models.

the gun just works, no matter what I feed it. I put 500 rounds through it in one sitting. A mix of ball ammo and self defense rounds. But I never tried shooting a ton of steel ammo.

It’s easily my most reliable handgun I own. And if a part breaks I can replace it with literally any brand I want with parts available online. The 1911 has been around for a century and it’s still going strong. There is a reason for that.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Because it’s as American as apple pie. There‘s a great deal of history with the 1911, and it’s seen service across several wars. Personally when I hear .45 ACP, my first association is the 1911. My “collection” as it were does not include anything rare or necessarily sought after. They are all shooters and the 1911 makes the list because...well, everyone should have a 1911 right? It does feel good in the hand, and the steel frame just feels so much more premium than my Glock. You can go high end or low end and across sever different calibers.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I would add, there are some very poor 1911's. If you are buying one for the first time, do your research. Watch videos, read reviews and if you can hold one and shoot it. A higher price doesn't always mean it's better.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Colt! 'Nuff said!
    I have a Colt series 70 because... well, Colt. I think Colt is still selling off their name recognition. though. The Colt I have is actually not as premium as my Ruger 1911. Both series 70 design and both .45 ACP. The Colt is a Competition model in SS and the Ruger is just whatever their standard non-custom is with Commander length in SS and both are bone stock with exception of the grips. Both purchased new within the past two years. That’s not to say the Colt is a bad gun because it’s not. The Ruger just has a better feel, like it’s screwed together better, and I just don’t think the Colt is worth the premium. Knowing this, would I still buy a Colt if I had a do over? Sure would because...Colt.

Top Bottom