Im old school but try to accept science. Red dots rock.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    See, all the times I've had an EOTech on a rifle, I've never once noticed the circle when I was actually using it. IMO, it's too damn big to really use as a rangefinder - you're already talking a 10 foot tall object (or 5 feet from reticle to circle) at only 200 yards, which is close enough you don't need to know if it's 150 or 220.

The cheap POS Millett scope I ran for a while had a 10MOA (at 4x) ring that was somewhat useable for that and bullet drop.
    ARJ Defense ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Average height of a man is what, 68 inches? If you center the dot and the person fills it, then you are at about 100 yards. If he only fills half, you are about 200 yards.

That can help with your hold off.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Average height of a man is what, 68 inches? If you center the dot and the person fills it, then you are at about 100 yards. If he only fills half, you are about 200 yards.

That can help with your hold off.

My point was, if you're shooting 5.56 there should be no hold needed as close as 200 yards unless you're fighting during a hurricane. With the right zero, wind is the only thing you'll have to correct for out to 300.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    My point was, if you're shooting 5.56 there should be no hold needed as close as 200 yards unless you're fighting during a hurricane. With the right zero, wind is the only thing you'll have to correct for out to 300.

:confused:

I zero at 25/300. That means I shoot about 7 inches high of POA at 100 yards. And your phrase "with the right zero" is objective.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A 100yd zero makes life a lot easier, for most people, plus a smaller amount of deviation POA/POI out to ~200yds.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I thought we were aiming at a 68" tall man at either 100 or 200 yards?

Or a certain part of him.Or maybe an object beside him.

Use something of a known size to estimate the range of an object of unknown size, or possibly too small to range accurately.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If you try to make a head shot at 100 and you are hitting high relative to POA, then knowing the distance and how low to aim is important, isn't it?

I don't hunt, but isn't 7 inches important even in deer hunting?

My post was a joke, but to me, 7" inches makes a shitload of difference no matter what i am shooting at.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I only got to take my AR with the aimpoint pro on it out once before the range got shut down, it was an absolute blast just busting clays and various junk on the back berm. Burned through a lot of ammo really quick just poppin trash as it rolled down hill.

I never messed with the eotech but the battery life was the reason for me going with the aimpoint. I love the idea of it always being on and ready to go. Regardless of their claims I plan to replace it on an annual basis though.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom