DK Firearms

Im old school but try to accept science. Red dots rock.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Shot ARs w a friend today. I am very accurate with my iron sights. With his red dot equipped gun i am accurate and fast. It was really telling to shoot them back to back.

Need to get me one of them red dots or a 1-4x illuminated recticle scope.
    Gun Zone Deals

Cajunshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    I agree, the first time I ever shot an AR it was with an EOTECH on it, I did all kinds of drills with it and couldn't believe how fast and accurate I was. To pick up an unfamiliar gun and shoot it that well was foreign to me. The red dot is for real.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    I have both an Aimpoint (Comp M3) and a 1x-4x with illuminated center dot.
    (I also have back-up "iron" sights on both rifles... too old to put all my faith in the optics.)

The Aimpoint is faster, but the 4x is nice to have at times.

The Aimpoint is more rugged, and it would be my first grab if the wheels suddenly fell off...

Last edited:

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Red dots have completely replaced my scopes for night time hunting. The Primary Arms MD-07 is great and compact, although it has a different name now, for some reason.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I bought a Weaver 2.5x10x50mm illluminated recticle scope a while back and have come to really like it (they also have 1.5x5, etc.). It's used mainly for target shooting and some low light hog hunting. Something like this wouldn't be as durable or handy for competition but for hunting and field work it would kinda' be the best of both worlds. They work great and have a lifetime warranty. Nachezss.com sells Weaver Scopes at some good prices.
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE800704&src=tpCtgOp

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Aimpoint> Eotech
    Rugedness
    Battery life
    Size
    Mounting solutions
    Althought it is a bit more spendy.

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

I agree with this. The battery life difference is huge. The Comp M2 on my AK has been turned on constantly for at least 18 months now without changing the battery.

That said, I'm a big fanboy of the 1-4x scope now. Just as fast as an Aimpoint or EOTech, but you can reach out a lot better. I've got a Trijicon TR24 in a LaRue LT104 on my AR and the only reason I'd choose something different is to try saving weight. IMO, it's the best overall balance you can get unless you go with a 1-6x or 1-8x, but for me those aren't really necessary.

For the record, I've owned two EOTech 512s. Felt like I was changing batteries in them constantly. Also, I don't feel confident many other optics could live with the setup my Comp M2 (that I bought used hard) is in, mounted to the gas tube of my AKM with a low, wide 30mm ring. I've had that gas tube so hot it would burn you if you touched it a lot of times since I put that Aimpoint on, but it's the honey badger of red dots.

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Aimpoint> Eotech
    Rugedness
    Battery life
    Size
    Mounting solutions
    Althought it is a bit more spendy.

I agree those items are superior, but for me the actual use of the Eotech is better. Center the 60 moa large circle for CQ work, and use the 1 moa for precise and further out work. You can also use the large circle as a crude range finder.

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I agree with txinvestigator. By all rational means, I should like AimPoints better... but I just feel my XPS2 is much easier to actually use and the battery life is about 600 hours.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    I agree those items are superior, but for me the actual use of the Eotech is better. Center the 60 moa large circle for CQ work, and use the 1 moa for precise and further out work. You can also use the large circle as a crude range finder.

Very true

Top Bottom