Join TexasGunTalk

I'm pretty fed up with semi-autos. Which pump gun to buy for HD?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by breakingcontact, Nov 7, 2013.

1. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I'm leaning heavily towards a Mossberg 590A1.

I've had 2 Mossberg 930's now. Sometimes they would be reliable, then they wouldn't be and I'd have to replace, polish or tweak another part. I was getting close to Benelli money in what I've put into these, so I'm pretty turned off on the semi-autos. Even the FN, Benelli, Berettas seem to not run everything consistently. I'll welcome your admonishment for giving up on the semi-auto guns. I know they have their advantages.

Yes, I know most cheap pump actions are good enough.

So, two questions on this...what other pump shotguns should I consider aside from the 500/590/590A1? (not interested in Remington)

Secondly, if I do go with the 590A1, I know the 5+1 version would be lighter and handier, but since shotguns are so limited in capacity, I am interested in the 8+1 version. What's your input on this?

2. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Maverick 88 if you really want to be cheap

3. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I have thought of just going with a 500. But for a bit more can get a 590A1.

4. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Benelli Nova Tactical is a great choice. You can add mag extensions as you see fit as opposed to the Mossbergs. Plus there are many factory options like pistol grip or standard or ghost ring sights or rifle sights. The camo version looks like something my daughter did but it has it's own beauty I guess.

The pump also has a button that will hold the rounds in the tube (not feed a round) so you can throw a different round in the chamber if you need to change types.

They don't cost much more than the 590s either.

5. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Pumps suck as bad or worse. IMO the 930 isn't a very good shotgun, though. Got to at least step up to an 1100 or SLP to get a halfway decent semi auto shotgun.

Maverick? He's trying to get away from cheap POS guns...

6. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Pump shotguns don't suck, some people just suck at running them;)

7. txbikerman

txbikerman TGT Addict

Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Been shooting pump shotguns for 30 years. Nothing wrong with them. after a while, you dont even think about racking the action. it just becomes natural.

8. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
  9. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Maverick is cheap, but why is it a POS? I guess someone forgot to mention that to mine and everyone else who I know have them.

10. Sugar Land

Sugar Land TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    My saiga12 runs drum mag dumps over and over again. Don't give up on SA