Hurley's Gold

I'm pretty fed up with semi-autos. Which pump gun to buy for HD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My Beretta AL390 has never spit the bit. Ever. 4-5K rounds, not one problem.
    Texas SOT

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Breakingcontact: Before you decide, let me come up to Austin some time and have you shoot my SLP.

Pump shotguns don't suck, some people just suck at running them;)

All shotguns suck, unless you're shooting at stuff that's moving fast through the air. :p

Been shooting pump shotguns for 30 years. Nothing wrong with them. after a while, you dont even think about racking the action. it just becomes natural.

I've been running them for about as long. You give a lot up in speed when you pick up a pump. I actually used to be one of those, "it's a shotgun, more isn't more, and semi auto isn't really any faster than someone that's good with a pump." Yeah, then I found out that was bullshit. There is a huge difference in quality among shotguns and it shows up at the range, and a good semi is a lot better than even a great pump.

My FN SLP is so smooth shooting, I had trouble believing it was a shotgun at first...

Maverick is cheap, but why is it a POS? I guess someone forgot to mention that to mine and everyone else who I know have them.

The action is disgustingly rough and gritty. The trigger guard is cheap plastic, and I guarantee if I owned one I'd have broken at least that by now, and the safety button is stiff and way too far away to reach without shifting your hand around.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    If you are poor a Maverick is a good shotgun.
    If you can afford a Mossberg 500, it is a good shotgun.
    If you can afford a Remington Express, then a Wingmaster is a better shotgun and a Browning BPS is an even better shotgun for more or less the same money.
    You can see where this is going.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I should check out Browning as well. I guess thats what im getting at. Im only familiar with Mossberg pumps and semis and Remington 870s. I did have a Wingmaster years ago. Was some sort of a trap or turkey gun? Full choke. High comb on sock and 32 or 33" barrel. Beautiful gun.

M Sage. I definitely appreciate the offer. I know you are a big fan of that SLP. It comes with two pistons? Which one(s) do you use and for what?

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    I've owned them all... and settled on the Benelli Nova as the best pump gun for me. I've got a Tactical with rifle sights, which worked well enough for me to take 1st in the Vietnam Light division at the TX Multigun Championship this year. I've also got a camo vent-rib hunting model that can handle all of the non-tactical and non-competition chores.

However, I will never give up my 30 year old 870. Something about parkerized steel and walnut that lets you know it has a soul.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    I think the 870 tactical handles a little better in tight areas and feels more robust, just feels right. Both shoot about the same. But with the 590 you definitely feel like you are ready for a battle. 870 for home, 590 for riot/property defense. 500 mariner everywhere else (boat, truck), and is the lightest of the three. I don't like the mossberg safety position with a pistol grip.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Mossberg safeties are definitely not ideal for a pistol grip SG, but I never cared for a pistol grip either so it worked out.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    BC, do you have a preference to pistol grip or stock, any other ideas on the final setup up or other uses?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    BC, do you have a preference to pistol grip or stock, any other ideas on the final setup up or other uses?

This is for HD. Only hunting id do with it would be possibly hogs but probably not even that.

As far as stock. At some point id like to monkey around with a birdshead grip but that would be on a secondary shotgun. For my main one i will go with either a traditional stock or a pistol grip/buttstock setup (is there a better name?) If i go Mossberg will be regular stock for sure.

I will have a light on it perhaps a side saddle and thats about it.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    The only pump guns I've seen with trouble were Mossbergs. I can't believe you won't consider an 870, it's the best inexpensive gun there is available. I don't know what you use the gun for but I have an old 1100 gun that is almost 100% reliable. I also have an old 870 that's been shot thousands of times(Trap Gun). Save your money, don't play with the Mooys.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Funny, only people I hear trash Mossbergs are 870 fans.

Jealousy is an ugly thing.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    My 870 was crap. I sold it for 100 dollars, guy wanted his money back a week later.
    Anyone can build a lemon.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ive had an 870 and i 590. I shouldnt have said in post one no 870s.

What i dont like most about the 870 is...safety location although it does make a pistol/buttstock combo an option. I dont like how the ejector or is hard to replace. Mostly i dont like how the feed gate (?) stays down instead of out of the way like a Mossberg.

Other than that i think and 870 is a good gun.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ive had an 870 and i 590. I shouldnt have said in post one no 870s.

What i dont like most about the 870 is...safety location although it does make a pistol/buttstock combo an option. I dont like how the ejector or is hard to replace. Mostly i dont like how the feed gate (?) stays down instead of out of the way like a Mossberg.

Other than that i think and 870 is a good gun.

Put a bigger safety button in it. Easy.

The feed gate stays down. So...? Every autoloader I've seen does the same. Doesn't keep people from being able to load the guns insanely fast. It pushes right out of the way with no effort at all.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Like what I like, what you like sucks!:rolleyes:

Seriously sage, everybody has a preference and there is really no quality advantage to the remmy.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Put a bigger safety button in it. Easy.

The feed gate stays down. So...? Every autoloader I've seen does the same. Doesn't keep people from being able to load the guns insanely fast. It pushes right out of the way with no effort at all.

I dont have a ton of experience with shotguns. Perhaps im following the wrong youtubers?

How likely is an 870 ejector to fail? The 590 is easy to replace. Regarding safety position i suppose a big safety could improve the 870. Finally the safety would let me run a Mesa Tactical recoil reducing stock which does interest me.

Are 1100/1187s real reliable? They dont seem as popular as they once were.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom