Target Sports

I'm pretty fed up with semi-autos. Which pump gun to buy for HD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm leaning heavily towards a Mossberg 590A1.

I've had 2 Mossberg 930's now. Sometimes they would be reliable, then they wouldn't be and I'd have to replace, polish or tweak another part. I was getting close to Benelli money in what I've put into these, so I'm pretty turned off on the semi-autos. Even the FN, Benelli, Berettas seem to not run everything consistently. I'll welcome your admonishment for giving up on the semi-auto guns. I know they have their advantages.

Yes, I know most cheap pump actions are good enough.

So, two questions on this...what other pump shotguns should I consider aside from the 500/590/590A1? (not interested in Remington)

Secondly, if I do go with the 590A1, I know the 5+1 version would be lighter and handier, but since shotguns are so limited in capacity, I am interested in the 8+1 version. What's your input on this?
    Gun Zone Deals

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Benelli Nova Tactical is a great choice. You can add mag extensions as you see fit as opposed to the Mossbergs. Plus there are many factory options like pistol grip or standard or ghost ring sights or rifle sights. The camo version looks like something my daughter did but it has it's own beauty I guess.

The pump also has a button that will hold the rounds in the tube (not feed a round) so you can throw a different round in the chamber if you need to change types.

They don't cost much more than the 590s either.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Pumps suck as bad or worse. IMO the 930 isn't a very good shotgun, though. Got to at least step up to an 1100 or SLP to get a halfway decent semi auto shotgun.

Maverick? He's trying to get away from cheap POS guns...

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Been shooting pump shotguns for 30 years. Nothing wrong with them. after a while, you dont even think about racking the action. it just becomes natural.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Maverick is cheap, but why is it a POS? I guess someone forgot to mention that to mine and everyone else who I know have them.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.

I've had 2 Mossberg 930's now. Sometimes they would be reliable, then they wouldn't be and I'd have to replace, polish or tweak another part. I was getting close to Benelli money in what I've put into these, so I'm pretty turned off on the semi-autos. Even the FN, Benelli, Berettas seem to not run everything consistently. I'll welcome your admonishment for giving up on the semi-auto guns. I know they have their advantages.

So, two questions on this...what other pump shotguns should I consider aside from the 500/590/590A1? (not interested in Remington)

Secondly, if I do go with the 590A1, I know the 5+1 version would be lighter and handier, but since shotguns are so limited in capacity, I am interested in the 8+1 version. What's your input on this?

I tried a 590A1.
    Quality wise it was fine. Typical Mossberg. Rough to cycle but no feeding issues.
    What I didn't like about it was the stock length and overall gun fit.
    The length of pull was overly long for me.
    Buttstock can't be cut down because the plastic facory buttstock is hollow.
    What I ended up doing was buying an aftermarket SpeedFeed stock and cutting it down. It looked awful but worked for me.
    I couldn't imagine that a guy with a tac vest on could shoulder this weapon easily. I see now there is a short stock available but that is more $ aftermarket purchase.
    I also didn't care for the length/reach on the forearm. It seemed to be difficult for me to rapidly stroke the action.
    Probably ran 1200 or so rounds thru it.
    Finally decided I didn't like it.

Went back to the Remington 870. They fit me better and cycle much smoother.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas

Attachments

• qeZD2y9.png
      qeZD2y9.png
      509 bytes · Views: 44
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas

You should check out the Stoeger p350 (18.5) its under 400, light weight and very reliable ( might have something to do with its action lol) I love mine, and I have an 870 and 500.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I should be open to considering them i suppose. I dont like loading them compared to a mossberg or the safety position.

M Sage mentioned the 1100 i should be open minded to that as well.

I agree with you on the safety position thing. Mossbergs are much more natural for me.

If the LOP is a problem on any of them check out the Bantam line. Typical Mossberg but shortened LOP and reach for the pump. Wife has one in 20ga and I really like it.

Top Bottom