• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I bought a British WWII PIAT (Projector, Infantry, Anti-Tank) as an early Christmas gift for myself and I'm looking for a projectile for it. The BATF&E has banned the importation of inert WWII ordnance leading to a dire shortage of the PIAT rounds. There is a company in the U.K. which manufactures reproduction inert ordnance for the PIAT. Does anyone have experience dealing with the BATF&E and can counsel me on how best to approach them with this issue? Thanks. P.I.A.T.pic.jpg PIAT_proj.jpg
    DK Firearms

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    No expert, but no explosives means its just a chunk of metal, same as the dummy grenades that you can buy at the surplus store. However I know the gov likes to make arbitrary laws...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Have you tried the Airsoft guys? They make some accurate reproductions of weapons and their forums might be helpful in finding someone who's made a copy of one.

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    I bought a British WWII PIAT (Projector, Infantry, Anti-Tank) as an early Christmas gift for myself and I'm looking for a projectile for it. The BATF&E has banned the importation of inert WWII ordnance leading to a dire shortage of the PIAT rounds. There is a company in the U.K. which manufactures reproduction inert ordnance for the PIAT. Does anyone have experience dealing with the BATF&E and can counsel me on how best to approach them with this issue? Thanks. View attachment 25350 View attachment 25351

OK no expert here at all but since it is a reproduction that means it's just some material in a shape. It had and has no potential to be anything but a chunk of metal in a shape. Since it never was a weapon and probably could never be one why would the BATF&E even be involved with it? I would contact the seller (I looked at their website and it's apparent that they export them) and see what they say, what is their experience exporting them to the US. I guess I'm just thinking why get the BATF&E involved if it really isn't their business..

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Have you tried the Airsoft guys? They make some accurate reproductions of weapons and their forums might be helpful in finding someone who's made a copy of one.
    Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that, I'll start checking their websites out, thanks.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    OK no expert here at all but since it is a reproduction that means it's just some material in a shape. It had and has no potential to be anything but a chunk of metal in a shape. Since it never was a weapon and probably could never be one why would the BATF&E even be involved with it? I would contact the seller (I looked at their website and it's apparent that they export them) and see what they say, what is their experience exporting them to the US. I guess I'm just thinking why get the BATF&E involved if it really isn't their business..
    I've considered that but I've been told by other collectors that any and all inert ordnance, even what looks like inert ordnance is being intercepted by Customs and sent to Ft. Sill for destruction. When you're looking at $400.00+ a pop for PIAT rounds plus shipping, I'd prefer to have BATF&E approval.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Have you tried Sarco, Inc., Firearms, Firearms Parts and Accessories ? They have a warehouse full of this kind of stuff. Pick up a copy of Shotgun News and peruse `the ads. There are all kinds of militaria collectors that have inert firearms and projectiles that post multi page ads. They always say to contact them about items not listed.
    I ad forgotten about SARCO. Just checked their website and ufortunately they had none, but thanks for the link anyway.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Wouldn't it be easier to just have a woodworker turn a few on a lathe out of wood for you?

Paint them to mimic the actual round.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Wouldn't it be easier to just have a woodworker turn a few on a lathe out of wood for you?

Paint them to mimic the actual round.
    That's probably what I'm going to have to do. A buddy of mine in Austin has three and I'm sure he'd lend me one to copy. There is a PIAT Drill round for sale currently on Ebay for $500.00 which is about 50% more than they usually go for when they do pop up for sale.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    This sounds like an opportunity for someone to make some $$ making replica rounds. Make run of 10 and see what you can get for them. Putting an Estes D-engine in one would probbly make it illegal anyway....

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    This sounds like an opportunity for someone to make some $$ making replica rounds. Make run of 10 and see what you can get for them. Putting an Estes D-engine in one would probbly make it illegal anyway....

Good Idea, however I would think you could make them out of aluminum pretty easy also. Why would putting a hobby rocket engine make it illegal? Just like any model rocket that is a replica of a real one. Explosive warhead, might be an issue.

If interested, check these guys out for something a bit stronger than an Estes 'D'. Rouse-Tech

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Is there a blueprint, or more measurement details available for the LIAT round? This almost seems too tempting of an opportunity to overlook. What is the inside diameter of the launcher?

Last edited:

Sparsky

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    San Antonio
    Top Bottom