Importing REPRODUCTION inert ordnance?

Sapper740

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Jan 21, 2013
I bought a British WWII PIAT (Projector, Infantry, Anti-Tank) as an early Christmas gift for myself and I'm looking for a projectile for it. The BATF&E has banned the importation of inert WWII ordnance leading to a dire shortage of the PIAT rounds. There is a company in the U.K. which manufactures reproduction inert ordnance for the PIAT. Does anyone have experience dealing with the BATF&E and can counsel me on how best to approach them with this issue? Thanks. P.I.A.T.pic.jpg PIAT_proj.jpg

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
May 11, 2009
H-Town, TX
No expert, but no explosives means its just a chunk of metal, same as the dummy grenades that you can buy at the surplus store. However I know the gov likes to make arbitrary laws...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Acera

TGT Addict
Jan 17, 2011
Republic of Texas
Have you tried the Airsoft guys? They make some accurate reproductions of weapons and their forums might be helpful in finding someone who's made a copy of one.

reddog

Jul 19, 2013
I bought a British WWII PIAT (Projector, Infantry, Anti-Tank) as an early Christmas gift for myself and I'm looking for a projectile for it. The BATF&E has banned the importation of inert WWII ordnance leading to a dire shortage of the PIAT rounds. There is a company in the U.K. which manufactures reproduction inert ordnance for the PIAT. Does anyone have experience dealing with the BATF&E and can counsel me on how best to approach them with this issue? Thanks. View attachment 25350 View attachment 25351
OK no expert here at all but since it is a reproduction that means it's just some material in a shape. It had and has no potential to be anything but a chunk of metal in a shape. Since it never was a weapon and probably could never be one why would the BATF&E even be involved with it? I would contact the seller (I looked at their website and it's apparent that they export them) and see what they say, what is their experience exporting them to the US. I guess I'm just thinking why get the BATF&E involved if it really isn't their business..

Sapper740

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Jan 21, 2013
Have you tried the Airsoft guys? They make some accurate reproductions of weapons and their forums might be helpful in finding someone who's made a copy of one.
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that, I'll start checking their websites out, thanks.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Jan 21, 2013
OK no expert here at all but since it is a reproduction that means it's just some material in a shape. It had and has no potential to be anything but a chunk of metal in a shape. Since it never was a weapon and probably could never be one why would the BATF&E even be involved with it? I would contact the seller (I looked at their website and it's apparent that they export them) and see what they say, what is their experience exporting them to the US. I guess I'm just thinking why get the BATF&E involved if it really isn't their business..
I've considered that but I've been told by other collectors that any and all inert ordnance, even what looks like inert ordnance is being intercepted by Customs and sent to Ft. Sill for destruction. When you're looking at $400.00+ a pop for PIAT rounds plus shipping, I'd prefer to have BATF&E approval.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
May 19, 2009
Republic of Texas
Have you tried Sarco, Inc., Firearms, Firearms Parts and Accessories ? They have a warehouse full of this kind of stuff. Pick up a copy of Shotgun News and peruse `the ads. There are all kinds of militaria collectors that have inert firearms and projectiles that post multi page ads. They always say to contact them about items not listed.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member