• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    While at the NRA show yesterday I was talking to the Hodgdon people and mentioned Unequal. I was told it has not been released and has actually been discontinued. Apparently there were problems with consistency in the handgun loadings so the decision was made to cancel it.
    Gun Zone Deals

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    It was supposed to be a replacement for Unique.

He also explained there will be a lot of changes coming in powders due to environmental concerns. The new WinClean 244 is where all powders are going. Cleaner formulas that don't have the environmental concerns. The 244 is basically the replacement for 231.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I had an interesting conversation with the Hodgdon folks as well. Some of the new powders are really expected to replace the older powders, for a number of reasons. Problem is that customers get so used to using "their" particular powder that they don't want to move on to something new.

Obviously there was a lot of effort made to make some of the new powders. Copper removal and temperature independence sound like things the military would really, really like, and so it's not unlikely they contributed to some development.

I asked why H4350 is so hard to find and they said they blame the huge increase in people loading the 6.5 Creedmoor. As they pointed out, there are lots of alternatives, but when gun writers are recommending a certain powder, there's always a stampede for that one.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I seriously doubt that the same named powder is the same as it was 50 years ago. Elmer Keith's pet 2400 load is apparently quite different with today's 2400.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    More decades ago, there was the differing capacity of balloon-head cases (mainly .44 Special and .45 Colt brass) vs. the stronger, newer, solid-head cases.

I'm not sure what went wrong with IMR UNeQUal, but I was already skeptical about it being a replacement for the original.

Last edited:

jdh47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Tennessee Colony, Texas
    H4350 is used by lots of people in competition. It is one of the extreme powders that is pretty temp insensitive so it is high on the list for competitors. RL16 is supposed to be good but I haven't tried it yet. IMR 4451 works good but it is not quite as temp insensitive as H4350.

People loading for competition usually purchase their powder in bulk. Add to that the problem of H4350 being imported from Australia and it becomes somewhat of a problem.

Of course the last administration did a lot of crazy things and spooked most citizens to the point of hording. It was almost comical around here trying to find 22 ammo. Brass got hard to find. Anything made of lead went up exponentially. Walmart was doling 22 ammo out and people would line up and bring all their relatives to purchase their allotment of ammo. The store would run out in just a few hours.

All in all the more people using a particular item the less of the item there is to go around.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Funny. I just eliminated two dozen odd powders yesterday and reduced the inventory for my loading to 6 powders to cover EVERYTHING.

I agree, we don't need another powder.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Funny. I just eliminated two dozen odd powders yesterday and reduced the inventory for my loading to 6 powders to cover EVERYTHING.

I agree, we don't need another powder.

I've got one wife and multiple powders for handgun. I mainly use WST or Ramshot Competition for .45 ACP, Blue Dot for 10mm. Still trying to decide for 9mm.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    I'd EXPECT any of the ones you use in .45 ACP or 10mm to work in 9x19mm. You may not need a separate powder for it, at all.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    I started loading smokeless in 1960. I had three powders. Until yesterday I had 28 (?) or so. Ridiculous. And I'll not buy any more "new & improved" stuff either. I'm done with the Flavor of the Month Club. Keeping it simple here in my woods.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I'd EXPECT any of the ones you use in .45 ACP or 10mm to work in 9x19mm. You may not need a separate powder for it, at all.

WST isn't recommended for many 9mm loads. Competition is listed but usually on the slower velocity side. I loaded up some 9mm with CFE pistol today. I'll see how they work next range trip. I was going to use some Winchester 244, which I thought I had purchased but couldn't locate it. I may have purchased 572, twice, thinking I already had the 244.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    I like Herco or AA#5 for 9mm. Probably neither is on your choice list, but they each have their redeeming features.

Top Bottom