• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    If you have a trailer, you should be able to find steel pipe or drill stem for around $1.50 - $2.00 per foot.

Keep in mind that a 20' pole stuck 3' in the ground is a 17' flag pole, but that should give you an idea on price for the pipe. Then you just need the hardware or eyebolts, plus light if needed.
    that's insanely cheap for what it is. Probably get the whole thing done for under $150 with hardware, light, cement, etc... A typical. steel pole is $500ish.

I would even be OK with 15'... but 17'-21' is just fine.

I'm replacing a young oak tree... I should be able to get 2' into the ground before hitting a massive rock. We had boulders 4" deep in our flowerbed
    I'm running two 15 foot telescopic aluminum poles and they have handled our strong winds here on the coast for 6 years. Lifetime warranty and rated for 125 mph wind iirc.....I bring them in every night to avoid thieves and vandals...

About $225.00 each. When I go to the shop tomorrow I'll get the manufacturer.....

They have 20 ft and 25 ft also...
    not a bad option. We see 40-60mph here in the spring... anything above that and a flagpole is probably the least of my worries.

I would like to keep the flag up overnight though, which multiplies the force exponentially. or something.

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    ARJ Defense ad

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    an ugly good bead may be strong, an ugly bad bead? It doesn't matter how much weld you put on it.
    that's what I [failing] to say. I'm not concerned with the integrity of my welds. I'm just not a MIG master where I can stack dimes like a TIG... one of these days...

then again, if I just get a single 20' pipe, this is all moot.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Sorry, I've been a tad busy lately. Here's the photos (finally).

Top of pole with homemade cap, eyebolt and pulley.
    2018-04-09 13.34.18.jpg

Tied the rope into a loop and put a ship cleat at a comfortable height
    2018-04-09 13.33.35.jpg

El cheapo solar powered light
    2018-04-09 13.33.58.jpg

And just for comparison, here's the professional version at the local post office
    post office.jpg

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    me likey... nice quality rope too.

Are there any concerns with moisture entering the top or bottom? I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to weld both ends shut.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    If you put some concrete in the hole first, that will take care of the bottom for the most part. On the top side, sure you can get some water in there, that after a few decades could cause some rust issues on a steel pole. Welding or otherwise securing a cap would help, but isn't required.

Go out to the country and look at how many H-posts are put up with no caps on top that have been around for a couple of decades.

You could also drill a hole near the bottom to act as a drain if the cap is too much trouble.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    If you have a trailer, you should be able to find steel pipe or drill stem for around $1.50 - $2.00 per foot.

Keep in mind that a 20' pole stuck 3' in the ground is a 17' flag pole, but that should give you an idea on price for the pipe. Then you just need the hardware or eyebolts, plus light if needed.
    what wall thickness did you use, if you can remember?

my local steel shop charges roughly $6/ft for 11 gauge (0.125)

Sent from my SIG Sauer

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    what wall thickness did you use, if you can remember?

my local steel shop charges roughly $6/ft for 11 gauge (0.125)

Sent from my SIG Sauer

If it's 2 7/8" pipe or larger that could work. If smaller, then go with 1/4" wall. Drill stem is going to be 1/4" wall. My pole is aluminum so that's a whole different ballgame.

Look on craigslist. A quick search shows
    https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/grd/d/fence-pipe-drill-stem/6524629031.html
    https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mad/d/pipe-for-sale/6550629772.html
    https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/grd/d/2-7-8-drill-stem/6496446574.html

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    If it's 2 7/8" pipe or larger that could work. If smaller, then go with 1/4" wall. Drill stem is going to be 1/4" wall. My pole is aluminum so that's a whole different ballgame.

Look on craigslist. A quick search shows
    https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/grd/d/fence-pipe-drill-stem/6524629031.html
    https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mad/d/pipe-for-sale/6550629772.html
    https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/grd/d/2-7-8-drill-stem/6496446574.html
    I have been spending so much time on OfferUp and Facebook Marketplace i completely forgot about CL.

thanks!

Sent from my SIG Sauer

jjkukla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Richwood
    Several years ago I fabricated my own 30' pole by using 3 pcs of 10' long black pipe and reducers; 3" at the base, 2.5" in the middle and 2" at the top. All topped off with a 2" cap. I then took another 10ft long pc of 3" pipe, cut it in half and concreted the 5ft long pcs into the ground, separated by 3" to fit the flagpole in between. Using 2 pcs of 5/8" all thread I fastened it all together by running through all 3 pcs of 3" pipe. I know it sounds confusing, but it's quite simple, cheap and sturdy. I used to fly my 5'x8' flag with no problem.
    ETA: I'd be happy to email a sketch (sorry, I don't have any photos), just PM me your email address. Cheers!

Last edited:

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Several years ago I fabricated my own 30' pole by using 3 pcs of 10' long black pipe and reducers; 3" at the base, 2.5" in the middle and 2" at the top. All topped off with a 2" cap. I then took another 10ft long pc of 3" pipe, cut it in half and concreted the 5ft long pcs into the ground, separated by 3" to fit the flagpole in between. Using 2 pcs of 5/8" all thread I fastened it all together by running through all 3 pcs of 3" pipe. I know it sounds confusing, but it's quite simple, cheap and sturdy. I used to fly my 5'x8' flag with no problem.
    ETA: I'd be happy to email a sketch (sorry, I don't have any photos), just PM me your email address. Cheers!
    just saw this, very intrigued. Will PM you now

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Landrover

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    New York
    Get on craigslist and find a commercial light pole . Something with 4 bolts for the concrete and tapers going to the top. Should be cheap.

Landrover

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    New York
    If u had a axle and knew someone who could weld. Have him weld a saddle on axle, some bracing, strap the light pole down to it, put a hitch on other end and tow it home. Thats what I do with windmill towers.

Last edited:

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    If u had a axle and knew someone who could weld. Have him weld a saddle on axle, some bracing, strap the light pole down to it, put a hitch on other end and tow it home. Thats what I do with windmill towers.
    local CL light poles are $250+...

3 sections of 11 gauge steel is going to run me about $100...

or drill stem off CL about $40-50

Due to the sizes I need, and my ability to transport, steel from my local distributor is probably my best option at the moment.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Top Bottom