• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I've been looking at picking up a guitar again and was wondering who makes a decent guitar these days in the $300-$400 range nothing fancy just enough to learn on, last time I played guitar was in the third grade so it's been awhile.
    Texas SOT

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    You could probably get a used Fender for that much, or a new Epiphone if you are going electric. Acoustic isn't my specialty but there are tons of quality manufacturers out there (probably more than electric).

If you just want something to learn on you don't need to spend anywhere near that much, though. A neighbor kid wanted to learn so I took him to a pawn shop and showed him how to haggle. Got him a Squire Stratocaster for $60- snooty guitarists may not like the brand but the truth is it is a fine beginner guitar. Your local pawn shop will very likely have several for bargain prices- it's seems like everyone learns on a Squire.

woodsong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Katy
    You're probably looking at an Asian import -- but there are lots of good ones, so that's not a big deal. Pretty much what London said -- I've found great deals at pawn shops (although that's getting few and far between ever since Ebay). Why not spend an hour or so at a Guitar Center and play around on their stuff? I think Mitchell is their beginner acoustic brand ... I think they play pretty well. Epiphone's are nice (both acoustic and electric) -- and it's hard to beat a Squire ... except that I think Fender's even lower brand (Affinity) may be a little better. If you're looking electric, note that an electric guitar with no amp is a completely different animal from an electric guitar and amp. If you want to check things online, Music Instruments and Professional Audio Equipment | 800-449-9128 | Musician's Friend and http://www.music123.com/ are both good places.

By the way, the "origin" of the guitar counts in snob appeal. Most desireable is American-made, then Japanese, Mexican, and Korean. There are some interesting European guitars, but they've never really hit mainstream (Although Vox came close years ago).

Jemplayer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Ibanez is a great brand. I own 2 and love them. You can pcik a good used one for around $300 that will beat any epiphone of squire in the ground. Epiphone electrics are notorious for bad electronics.

What ever you do stay as far away from Chinese made, especially acoustics as you can.

Top Bottom