• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Furthermore, 1911 cited Texas v White as a reason Texas can't secede. Please note the following from Texas v White:

Moreover, "Both the original (1836) and the current (1876) Texas Constitutions also state that "All political power is inherent in the people ... they have at all times the inalienable right to alter their government in such manner as they might think proper."

Didn’t the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Texas v. White prove that secession is unconstitutional?

NO. With all due respect, 1911 is mistaken. Texas v White did not address secession. Period.

"...Our conclusion therefore is, that Texas continued to be a State, and a State of the Union."
    — Texas v. White, 74 U.S. 700, 703 (1868)

In other words, Texas, per Texas v White, never seceded.

You are looking at everything with rose tinted glasses. Nothing gives the state of Texas the right to secede. The Texas vs. White case proves that even if Texas were to secede the Union (read the United States) does not even recognize it in secession, therefor it is still a part of the Union. Ergo, the state of Texas cannot secede from the Union. It is an insoluble relationship in the eyes of the Fed.

You aren't the first person to think about Texas secession. There's been a group called the Republic of Texas that has been fighting this for decades. What have they achieved? Nothing.

Have you even looked at the Civil War? You know, where we fought for years, killing millions, to grant the freedom of individual states?

Texas, will never be free again. You can rattle your saber and talk big on the internet, you might even die trying, but it will not be free again. There is no social, economic, or even land based derivation great enough to proclaim independence. There is no legal basis for it, and the most powerful country in the world stands to lose something considerable in the process, and they certainly won't allow that.

Until this becomes a popular decision amongst the people, it will always be a go-nowhere endeavor.
    Hurley's Gold

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Is Texas ripe for secession?

Probably not (yet). Texans generally aren't the rugged, independent, liberty-conscious folks they once were. Like most Americans, they happily acquiesce to the U.S. government's steady theft of their rights and property via unlawful statutes, programs, and activities.
    Unfamiliar with historical or legal details, being largely products of public (i.e., government) "education," today's Texans easily adopt the "politically correct" myths that litter the landscape of American popular opinion. Many don't even know what the word secede means, and believe that the United States is a "democracy" (hint: it's not).

But public opinion and ignorance won't stop us from suggesting that secession is still a good idea for people who value their rights and personal liberty more highly than the temporal affluence, comfort, and false security provided by the U.S. welfare/warfare state. By raising public awareness of even the concept of secession, we hope they might plant seeds that will some day yield a new resolve among Texans for liberty and self-government.

With that said, I do not purport that I am the first, nor the last, to speak of secession. Also, please do not characterize what I have to say as "rattling my saber and talking big on the internet". I have not simply "talked big" on the internet, I have sacrificed for this country, personally, as many have, with my sweat and blood in the service of this country, and from a personal perspective, this is hard for me even to speak of secession.

Again, we could go "on and on" about this, which I am not going to do. All I hope is that we as "freedom loving people" maintain a vigilance and do what we can to preserve what has made this country great. Hopefully, you feel the same way. If not, then that is an entirely different and unfortunate issue.

You are looking at everything with rose tinted glasses. Nothing gives the state of Texas the right to secede. The Texas vs. White case proves that even if Texas were to secede the Union (read the United States) does not even recognize it in secession, therefor it is still a part of the Union. Ergo, the state of Texas cannot secede from the Union. It is an insoluble relationship in the eyes of the Fed.

You aren't the first person to think about Texas secession. There's been a group called the Republic of Texas that has been fighting this for decades. What have they achieved? Nothing.

Have you even looked at the Civil War? You know, where we fought for years, killing millions, to grant the freedom of individual states?

Texas, will never be free again. You can rattle your saber and talk big on the internet, you might even die trying, but it will not be free again. There is no social, economic, or even land based derivation great enough to proclaim independence. There is no legal basis for it, and the most powerful country in the world stands to lose something considerable in the process, and they certainly won't allow that.

Until this becomes a popular decision amongst the people, it will always be a go-nowhere endeavor.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Again, we could go "on and on" about this, which I am not going to do. All I hope is that we as "freedom loving people" maintain a vigilance and do what we can to preserve what has made this country great. Hopefully, you feel the same way. If not, then that is an entirely different and unfortunate issue.

Your last argument is much, much more logical and exactly the point I am making.

The comments I am making are relative to the various arguments I have heard from people over time. Don't take them personally. I wouldn't discredit your service, as it's more than I have given. I'm not that kind of person. I'm simply trying to be the devil's advocate, and point out the holes in the wire.

My position is this:

I am furious with Washington, I am not happy with Austin either, but given the choice, I'll take Austin any damn day. I am a Texan through and through, and am also an American citizen.

I think Texas has the opportunity, and the ultimate human right, to secede. I think that history has proven that it is possible, but I think we would be considerably ignorant to do it tomorrow. We are not ready, the public is not ready, and we lack significant control of our own state.

Until we control our own state, and define our state in the likeness of what we hope to achieve, we are not ready.

Until we define a large group, not necessarily a majority, but a sizeable group of motivated individuals that would do anything to self-govern themselves will we make it reality. Washington has proven at Ruby Ridge and here at Waco that they can crush and silence a small group of people. Let's see Washington silence 100,000 motivated people.

Unfortunately we can't even get 100,000 motivated people to fight with their phones, to fight with their vote. How can we expect them to pick up a rifle? How can we expect them to give up their consumer lifestyle and adapt to economic hardship?

We need to ask the serious questions, and make sure this is honestly what we want, and honestly within our means. It needs to be enacted in the most peaceful means necessary. That's going to require patience and cool-heads. Your signature quote enumerates that perfectly.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    My friend,

I totally agree with your statements below. I am not taking your comments personally. I think you and I have much more in common than what may initially appear to the casual reader.

Maybe someday we will meet in person. I would like that.

God Bless Texas

Your last argument is much, much more logical and exactly the point I am making.

The comments I am making are relative to the various arguments I have heard from people over time. Don't take them personally. I wouldn't discredit your service, as it's more than I have given. I'm not that kind of person. I'm simply trying to be the devil's advocate, and point out the holes in the wire.

My position is this:

I am furious with Washington, I am not happy with Austin either, but given the choice, I'll take Austin any damn day. I am a Texan through and through, and am also an American citizen.

I think Texas has the opportunity, and the ultimate human right, to secede. I think that history has proven that it is possible, but I think we would be considerably ignorant to do it tomorrow. We are not ready, the public is not ready, and we lack significant control of our own state.

Until we control our own state, and define our state in the likeness of what we hope to achieve, we are not ready.

Until we define a large group, not necessarily a majority, but a sizeable group of motivated individuals that would do anything to self-govern themselves will we make it reality. Washington has proven at Ruby Ridge and here at Waco that they can crush and silence a small group of people. Let's see Washington silence 100,000 motivated people.

Unfortunately we can't even get 100,000 motivated people to fight with their phones, to fight with their vote. How can we expect them to pick up a rifle? How can we expect them to give up their consumer lifestyle and adapt to economic hardship?

We need to ask the serious questions, and make sure this is honestly what we want, and honestly within our means. It needs to be enacted in the most peaceful means necessary. That's going to require patience and cool-heads. Your signature quote enumerates that perfectly.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I totally agree with your statements below. I am not taking your comments personally. I think you and I have much more in common than what may initially appear to the casual reader.

Maybe someday we will meet in person. I would like that.

God Bless Texas

We have events in Houston quite often. Once I can drive I plan to make a number of them.

slammr

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    Plano, Tx
    I started reading but when I got to point #2, I knew this would be a failed bit. GW, get real. He can't lead his way out of a wet paper bag.

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    Yeah, that GW, what did he know? Under Bush we only had 4.5% unemployment, the stock market at 14,000, and AFTER he helped us recover from the worse financial disaster heaped on America.

It was estimated that 9/11 cost the financial sector ONE TRILLION DOLLARS with one hit. But with GW pushing further tax cuts, over the screaming of democrats, within a few years we were rolling again. By then everyone, yes even democrats, were yelling for Bush to DO SOMETHING. He did what Slick Willie always talked about but never zipped his pants up to do. Fight Terrorism. And democrats were completely behind his invasion of Iraq.

The country was doing fine until about 2005 when the left wing media decided that repugs like Mark Foley WAS the republican party, they were all sex maniacs, so they had to all go. The sheeple listened, voted in the democrats in 2006, they spent all their time trying to instigate a pull-out of Iraq, so that Bush would be the LOSER of Iraq.

Yep, for a failed leader, he didn't let them get away with it.

Now in Afghanstan we see what a democrat leader is doing, losing good Soldiers and no one in the left wing media is saying a word.

Is there anyone on this board who truly believes the pablum that the left wing media puts out? Raise your hand if you do.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I notice that most people who slam Bush dont really know why or cannot back it up with anything. Typical liberal horsesh*t They talk alot but cannot explain the refuse they are spewing.

If I was a soldier, I would follow him. Would you follow DOHbama into battle????

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    My friend,

Common sense would dictate the correct response to your question....LOL

I am with you.

I notice that most people who slam Bush dont really know why or cannot back it up with anything. Typical liberal horsesh*t They talk alot but cannot explain the refuse they are spewing.

If I was a soldier, I would follow him. Would you follow DOHbama into battle????

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

I can fault Bush on some points, but you can do that with any President. Even Reagan, JFK, etc. all had their dull moments.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I can fault Bush on some points, but you can do that with any President. Even Reagan, JFK, etc. all had their dull moments.

Nobody is perfect and with the number of people and their segregation politically and socially, you would never be able to please everyone. I am pretty sure I would even have my dull moments as prez!!!!

Top Bottom