Lynx Defense

In Texas...ya gotta have a fiddle in the band!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Since we more or less broke up (like all good bands) a couple of years ago after a 12 year run, there is no ulterior commercial motive intended, and is presented simply to share a bit of old fashioned 'Texas Swing' for those who enjoy it.

A little background: Our steel player was none other than Herb Remington. Herb was a member of "Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys", and Bob's steel player from 1945-51 (and a member of the Hall of Fame). Some of you old enough may also recognize Robert Herridge, "the little fiddler" of Gilley's and "Urban Cowboy" fame.

I managed to get six of these up last week on YouTube, so if you enjoy a bit of Texas music there should be obvious links to follow.

This an "off the house board" live recording/video of a performance at the West Texas Western Swing Festival, in Snyder, TX in 2006, so take it for what is - the Real Thang, flies and all.

DK Firearms

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Great sounding band. Not the kind we need to lose.

Get'em back together!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Thank you most kindly for having done what you did. Your band did more for authentic Texas music than anyone else I can think of.

I sucked milk from my mother's breast to the sounds of Bob Wills and his Texas Cowboys, Hank Williams (not a Texan), and Ernest Tubb:

Just a few examples of creative masterpieces.

Thank you sir!

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Thank you most kindly for having done what you did. Your band did more for authentic Texas music than anyone else I can think of.

Thank you sir!

No, thank you!

That kind of accolade to a bunch of musicians, like applause, is more appreciated than making love to an old widow women.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Well, on that "note", I don't discriminate between widows, single, or married women. They are all good.

Yeah, Buddy! Hank made the SONG the coin of the realm, not the fancy recording process and hifi BS. And, as long as those women don't talk about you when you're gone (might as well make it easy for the clickers).

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Yet no one dances ... :laughing:

Which one is you iz karlac?

Trust me, that basketball court is full of dancers, from all around the world (the sound board is basically in the middle of the audience and the camera was fixed pointing at the stage). We played there for three or four years running, and each time Snyder, TX was crawling with Europeans who came specifically for the music, and to swing dance.

Me? I'm the one tickling the women's bottoms, on that '61 Fender Jazz Bass.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Little bit of Texas Swing music history, from the horse's mouth, Herb Remington.

(The last few years, since I live on the same side of town, I'd often pick up Herb at his house and we'd travel to gigs in Texas together in my truck so he wouldn't have to drive back home late at night). Thus I was privileged to hear many stories of life on Bob Will's and The Texas Playboy's tour bus, most of which I heard more than once.

According to Herb, Bob wanted a steel guitar tune to rival Leon McAuliffe's "Steel Guitar Rag" and asked Herb to come up with a tune, so Herb wrote "Boot Heel Drag", which ended up as the flip side of the released single of that famous, all time Texas dance hall favorite, "Faded Love".

Here's Herbie, kicking that tune off in Snyder, TX June 2006:

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Dance floor is about 10 rows or so back.
    That is a boot scooter's dream.
    Really nice music festival.

The locals are the best, and typical Texas, friendly and big hearted. Can't tell you how many times I heard the phrase, "Welcome to Scurry County!" when we walked into a restaurant or place of business.

You want a taste of the real Texas, when the landowner's still lived on the land, that part of the state will give it to you in spades.

Top Bottom