In the Wilds of Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by Hoji, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I am currently in Milan,Pa waiting for the opening day of buck season{Monday} It looks like we will be getting more snow{a very good thing} and in my scouting I have seen VERY promising sign of some really big bucks{well over 200 lbs on the hoof}

Wish me luck amigos.Man it is cold here.

2. Hoji

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Day 1- saw a bunch of does{ huge does} but nothing legal to shoot{ bucks only, and at least 3 points on one antler} The woods were full of hunters all around and I heard at least two shots hit the woods about 100-200 yards south of me, so I know at least two legal bucks did not get shot this morning. :lolz: I will try again this afternoon.

3. Hoji

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Well I struck out.:indifferent0004: No big deal really. I saw dozens of deer but none I could legally shoot thisweek. Next year I will plan my vacation to fall on the last two days of buck season and the first couple of days of doe season.

Off to get a nap before driving back to Texas.

4. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks for the report, Hoji, and sorry to hear you got skunked. Were you hunting from a stand, or on the ground? If the latter, those wood-cracking shots would have scared me the hell out of there!!!

Hope you have a safe trip back.

5. Hoji

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Oh I was on the ground:mad0079: and it is somewhat disturbing to hear that sound, but I was hunting about halfway up a ridge so Iwas fairly safe{ unles some yahoo shot upslope}

You have to wear blaze orange here and I see why now. I went the state minimum requirement{one dollar plastic vest at WalMart} but next year when I return I will be in a Blaze orange camo parka.

Oh and I saw a group of legal bucks on my drive to the store for red bull for my return drive:mad0071: all in the area where I was hunting. Oh well there is always next year and I still have 3 tags left on my Texas license:banger:

Oh, the does up here are on average about 25% bigger than most of the bucks in texas and the bucks here are just huge.

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Admit it... you're just a pacifist animal lover that wanted to go deer spotting, hehe.

7. Hoji

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

:happy0001: yup you caught me. Of course there are just under 100 feral pigs in the Austin area that might disagree with that premise:tongueout:

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's coming right at me!

[​IMG]

9. Hoji

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Well I am back. Left Pa at about 1:30 am Wednesday morning,{saw half a dozen legal bucks on the drive out of the property:gotme:} got a hotel about 50 miles of Nashville Wednesday afternoon, slept till 1:00 am today and finished the trip at my doorstep at 3:30 this afternoon.

Texas 130 is expensive but I was able to get from Walberg{exit 265 on IH 35} to Mustang Ridge in 34 minutes.:smoker::banger: Worth the 12 bucks to avoid Austin rush hour.