DK Firearms

In what condition do you carry your 1911 in??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • In what condition do you carry your 1911 in

• Total voters

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    I do not see anything on that page that indicates JMB did not envision Condition 1 as the carry condition.

That patent application (US984519A, granted 1911-02-1) didn’t even have the thumb safety. It (thumb safety allowing condition 1) was covered later (upon request of the US Army) in patent no. US1070582A applied for 1913-04-23.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have a lot of respect for JM Browning and what he created in the firearms realm, but frankly it wouldn't matter to me what condition he felt the 1911 should be carried in, I go with what makes sense to me.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    OK. So once the thumb safety was added, what tells us what JMB's preference was?

Original intent was clearly condition 2; ultimately after the addition of the thumb safest, condition 1 (although with models true to the initial design, they can still be decocked with one hand).

Last edited:

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    A story that I heard said that one of the more colorful Texas Rangers carried 2 cocked and locked 1911's. And someone asked him "isn't that dangerous?". He replied "I sure hope so".

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Lone Wolf Gonzaullas deactivated the grip safety and had the trigger guard removed. Carried Condition 1.

Lone-Wolf-pistols-AOGHS.jpg

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    Actually JMB never intended it be carried that way. It's a myth.
    Well it is how I was taught by 2 Army Rangers that mentored me in the manly arts. Regardless. And that is how I have carried it. I realize the platform has went through many design changes.
    I will have to ask JMB about this when I cross over.....:vanish:

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    I was the one he threatened and I sleep just fine. Poor chap didn’t know what the white stuff is on the top of chicken shit. He was also just a little high strung.
    emoji56.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would've been having nightmares of a Steven Segall like figure chasing me

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Is there a full time Mod on this site...???
    There are several part-timers. Because some tend to stay up very late and others get up very early, we achieve near-24-hour coverage.

We don't discuss issues in the open so I won't comment on this particular case. Generally, however, don't confuse a lack of instant action with a failure to notice and investigate. Doing so would be a mistake.

Important - If you think something is in need of moderation, that's what the report button is for. No one should be afraid to use it.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    There are several part-timers. Because some tend to stay up very late and others get up very early, we achieve near-24-hour coverage.

We don't discuss issues in the open so I won't comment on this particular case. Generally, however, don't confuse a lack of instant action with a failure to notice and investigate. Doing so would be a mistake.

Important - If you think something is in need of moderation, that's what the report button is for. No one should be afraid to use it.
    Just curious.
    I am a Mod on this sites sister forum Indiana Gun Owners. We have near the same coverage.
    And yes, what happens behind the curtain stays there

Top Bottom