Join TexasGunTalk

..inaccurate with my Browning HiPower..

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Whisky, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Whisky

Whisky Well-Known

Jan 27, 2013
    went shooting with it again today and confirmed that I'm less accurate with my Browning HiPower than I am with any of my other pistols - can't figure it out. not that I'm missing the target but just not getting the groupings that I expect from it - I even shoot our crappy-sighted Makarov pistols better than I do the HP.....? :-(

2. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

It's broked.

Sell to me for $200? :roflfunny:

3. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Do you think it is you or the gun? No matter, you should have another competent shooter give it a go. If he/she has the same results look to the mechanics of the gun. If they shoot it well, then of course that's a different solution. Sometimes a gun just doesn't fit. I can tell you that my 1965~ BHP T series, with really crappy sights, and stock trigger other than the Mag override taken out (about at 6.5 lb trigger) shoots very tight groups for me, as it fits me pretty well.

4. Whisky

Whisky Well-Known

Jan 27, 2013
    I hated the sights on the pistol and had a FO installed - but - I'm still shooting it the same (crappy)

yeah, I'll have someone else put some rounds thru it - there's "a guy" at the range that I've got a lot of respect for - will ask him

just hard to fathom as I'm a pretty good pistolero with everything else I shoot.....

5. grumper

grumper Well-Known

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Did you get the mazagine safety removed?

The factory 11.5lb single action trigger might have something to do with it.

6. shortround

shortround TGT Addict

Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    If it is an original Browning HP, it will be inherently accurate unless someone screwed with it in an unnatural way.

If it has standard factory sights, do the following.

1. Place target at 7 yards.

2. Shoot from a bench or other supported position.

3. Focus on front sight -- rear sight and target should be blurry unless you have superhuman eyesight. Maintain exact same point of aim.

4. Fire 10 rounds s l o w l y.

5. Evaluate shot group.

6. Adjust point of aim if sights are not adjustable.

7. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    Is it a Hi Power or a clone? And more importantly, has it been modified by a previous owner? A BHP is typically a pretty accurate pistol, but custom modifications done by a less than skilled owner may have some effect on accuracy.

8. Whisky

Whisky Well-Known

Jan 27, 2013
    thanks for the replies folks - will follow some of the suggestions

9. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!

Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I wish that I could try it out for you. Semi auto's and I speak to each other. It would tell me what's wrong.

Flash

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  10. Whisky

Whisky Well-Known

Jan 27, 2013
    if ya ever get up to Conroe/Montgomery let me know and we'll go shoot it.....