• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    went shooting with it again today and confirmed that I'm less accurate with my Browning HiPower than I am with any of my other pistols - can't figure it out. not that I'm missing the target but just not getting the groupings that I expect from it - I even shoot our crappy-sighted Makarov pistols better than I do the HP.....? :-(
    DK Firearms

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Do you think it is you or the gun? No matter, you should have another competent shooter give it a go. If he/she has the same results look to the mechanics of the gun. If they shoot it well, then of course that's a different solution. Sometimes a gun just doesn't fit. I can tell you that my 1965~ BHP T series, with really crappy sights, and stock trigger other than the Mag override taken out (about at 6.5 lb trigger) shoots very tight groups for me, as it fits me pretty well.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I hated the sights on the pistol and had a FO installed - but - I'm still shooting it the same (crappy)

yeah, I'll have someone else put some rounds thru it - there's "a guy" at the range that I've got a lot of respect for - will ask him

just hard to fathom as I'm a pretty good pistolero with everything else I shoot.....

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Did you get the mazagine safety removed?

The factory 11.5lb single action trigger might have something to do with it.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    If it is an original Browning HP, it will be inherently accurate unless someone screwed with it in an unnatural way.

If it has standard factory sights, do the following.

1. Place target at 7 yards.

2. Shoot from a bench or other supported position.

3. Focus on front sight -- rear sight and target should be blurry unless you have superhuman eyesight. Maintain exact same point of aim.

4. Fire 10 rounds s l o w l y.

5. Evaluate shot group.

6. Adjust point of aim if sights are not adjustable.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Is it a Hi Power or a clone? And more importantly, has it been modified by a previous owner? A BHP is typically a pretty accurate pistol, but custom modifications done by a less than skilled owner may have some effect on accuracy.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    thanks for the replies folks - will follow some of the suggestions

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I wish that I could try it out for you. Semi auto's and I speak to each other. It would tell me what's wrong.

Flash

Last edited:

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I wish that I could try it out for you. Semi auto's and I speak to each other. It would tell me what's wrong.

Flash

if ya ever get up to Conroe/Montgomery let me know and we'll go shoot it.....

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    My 69 year old John Inglis manufactured BHP still shoots like a charm, though admittedly I have to work a little harder at it due to the original military sights being somewhat less than ideal for realizing tight groups. Try putting your pistol in a gun vise to eliminate any human factors and see if it still can't group.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    ..Try putting your pistol in a gun vise to eliminate any human factors and see if it still can't group.

OK - I've been "looking at" pistol bench rests on the internet - anyone have any recommendations for a purchase ? also looking into a "universal" sight pusher - same thing - any recommendations ?

thanks

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Don't adjust sight until you know where that puppy groups.

High Power fixed sights can be drifted for windage with a brass rod and a mallet.

You correct for elevation by either filing down the front sight or building it up.

No special tools needed.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    As others suggested get another shooter on the gun first. Here is a story for reference; a buddy of mine was shooting horrid groups out of his new pistol. I asked to shoot it. I made a tiny little group handed it back to him and once again he shot the same horrid group. He picked up one of mine and shot a great group. Some people just struggle with a certain style of gun. He was able to finally get the thing to shoot well for him by "retraining" himself on that one pistol. Took a few range sessions but he is now quite accurate with it.

Now if several others shoot shotgun patterns out of it...... well it just might be the pistol.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    headed back to the range today - with the HP and a new pistol bench rest - will see how it goes - thanks

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    well, it's NOT the pistol - I can't see the dadgum front sight (worth a darn !)

had a FO installed in hopes that would "work", it hasn't - oh well - might try an XS Big Dot next (or just leave the pistol in the safe)

Top Bottom