• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craymer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Incident at ATM off Burnet Road *UPDATE!

*Update 1/18/17*

Just thought I would provide an update. I spent an hour at the Police station yesterday, giving a statement, as well as a lineup for identification. My Credit Union has been in contact with the Police Department and there has been more of these incidents, by what appears to be the same person. He was picked up on Monday after being spotted by APD, hanging out around an ATM "in the area". I was not able to identify the suspect with complete assurance. I told them that I would recognize the voice, but they told me that they can not use that and did not have them say anything. I thought they would do that? Anyway, they thanked me for trying, but that they have what they need anyway.

Apparently he has been doing this to a lot of people, but none of which has resulted in a robbery, but they have him on video approaching quite a few people at ATMs. That is all the info. I have as they would not tell me anything else.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen and what went through your mind.

So, yesterday morning on my way to work, I stopped at the Amplify Credit Union on Burnet road to get a little cash for the day. They have a walk up ATM, as well as a drive up ATM at a small island in the parking lot. I pulled up to the drive up ATM with my truck up pretty tight so I can reach everything easily.

Just after putting in my pin code, I see a guy walking up behind my truck. I stop what I am doing on the ATM and stare at him through my side view mirror and also glanced at my right side mirror to see if there was anyone else on that side. He continues to approach the tail end of my truck as if he is going to walk up on the driver side of my door. I immediately draw my Sig from my OWB holster and hold it down low, aimed upwards.

Next thing I know he is practically squeezing between my truck and the ATM to get up to my window. At that point I yelled at him to get the **** away from my truck and was drawing up, but not so that he could see my firearm yet. I did notice he had nothing in his hands. He jumped back and said, "Chill man, just wanted to see if you had a smoke." I told him, "No, I don't got no Fing smoke, get the F away from my truck right now, you shouldn't walk up on people at an ATM, good way to get your ass shot."

By this time the ATM was beeping loudly asking if I needed more time. The guy stood there for a couple more seconds and turned around and walked off.

Chances are this was probably a whole lot about nothing and he probably just wanted a smoke, but it definitely put me on edge. I do not think I overreacted though. Thoughts?
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I might have actually started to pull away from ATM, and probably would have provided verbal warning as soon as I saw him at tailgate.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    That sounds like it was a failed attempted robbery. Here are my thoughts:

He was probably too high or too committed to what he was doing to notice you in the side-view mirror, but the "I need a smoke" is a cover for getting close to you.

His timing sounds like it was on-point too - the only thing that changed the plan was you pausing to take notice which slowed your transaction at the ATM.

I work right around the corner, so I'll put the word out around here. You did right, but had it been me, I'd have been out the passenger door with my gun drawn the second he reached the back of my truck. ATM's are no place to screw around.

Last edited:

craymer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    That sounds like it was a failed attempted robbery. Here are my thoughts:

He was probably too high or too committed to what he was doing to notice you in the side-view mirror, but the "I need a smoke" is a cover for getting close to you.

His timing sounds like it was on-point too - the only thing that changed the plan was you pausing to take notice which slowed your transaction at the ATM.

I work right around the corner, so I'll put the word out around here. You did right, but had it been me, I'd have been out the passenger door with my gun drawn the second he reached the back of my truck. ATM's are no place to screw around.

Well, my truck is a 2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab, bucket seats with a center console, would be kinda hard to get over that, plus I had my seat belt on at that moment.

craymer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    I might have actually started to pull away from ATM, and probably would have provided verbal warning as soon as I saw him at tailgate.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Yes, this. It crossed my mind to pull away, but the ATM was wide open with my pin already entered. I know they always say cash is not worth your life, but as long as I feel reasonably comfortable and am armed, I am not letting anyone take my money. To me it is almost as much the principle as it is the money. If someone wants to take what is mine, they are going to have to take me to court or take my entire magazine first.

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    Well, my truck is a 2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab, bucket seats with a center console, would be kinda hard to get over that, plus I had my seat belt on at that moment.

I'm a spry and scrawny 30-year old in a similar truck - I'd have been out the window if necessary. LOL.

You did good, man. No doubt about it. Most folks would have just ended up a statistic. - Situational awareness is 9/10 self-preservation.

craymer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    I agree w most, you acted appropriately

Well, I will say this. After something that was probably trivial and possibly no criminal intent, it really makes you think and second guess everything. It has gone through my mind 100 times over the past 24 hours. It also makes you realize that things can happen and take you off guard. At the end of the day, regardless of what his intent was, he walked away and I never had to draw up on him. Had it come to that, I would have called 911 to report the incident, just in case he walked away and called 911 saying I did something to him.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I would have told him "You was going to get gun smoke if you get any closer". Your story is why you should carry all the time.

craymer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    I don't think he was just wanting a smoke. I think you handled it well . Did you report it ?

No, I did not. It crossed my mind, but decided against it, since he left and I thought I may be overreacting. In hindsight, chances are it was caught on the ATM camera and they may have wanted to take a look at it to see if it was someone known to them.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    With your window down at the ATM, he could have definitely asked you for a smoke from well behind your truck. Good call.
    And you have no duty to retreat in Texas as well. Trying to pull forward in a hurry while watching your side mirror is a good way to have an accident.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You should've shot him.

OK, I am kidding; but I also suspect he probably is going to try it again on the next person that drove through the ATM, and that may be an unarmed woman in a minivan who won't be paying the same amount of situational awareness as you were, so maybe I wasn't kidding all that much.

I would have called the Austin police non-emergency number and reported it just so they are aware of what this person's doing (not what you did, as you never displayed your weapon in a matter to cause alarm). Chances are no one is going to come out, but you never know. If you don't have your local police department's non-emergency number stored in your cell phone, you should so now. It is the right number to call for such situations.

I would have also probably stuck around nearby and within sight for a few minutes to see if he approached anyone else. I too think he was after something more than a smoke.

But I think you acted correctly, and congratulate you on doing so.

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom