• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    True but you are in a much worse defensive position. I don't think the trade off is worth it.

Both are trade offs. Often someone up to no good will see that you are situationally aware and go elsewhere.

In my case it helps that I look like someone who will tear their arms off.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Both are trade offs. Often someone up to no good will see that you are situationally aware and go elsewhere.

In my case it helps that I look like someone who will tear their arms off.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree in a one on one situation, which most probably are.

But in a case with multiple assailants you would be in some trouble where being in a vehicle would be greatly beneficial.

But again, being totally prepared for every possible situation is not usually feasible.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That sounds like it was a failed attempted robbery. Here are my thoughts:

He was probably too high or too committed to what he was doing to notice you in the side-view mirror, but the "I need a smoke" is a cover for getting close to you.

His timing sounds like it was on-point too - the only thing that changed the plan was you pausing to take notice which slowed your transaction at the ATM.

I work right around the corner, so I'll put the word out around here. You did right, but had it been me, I'd have been out the passenger door with my gun drawn the second he reached the back of my truck. ATM's are no place to screw around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I would not use that ATM. Is there a better way that you can get cash? Where I live, the credit union I use has no fee ATMs all inside a nice kind of convenience stores (Bucee's) where you are more protected inside the store. Also, there are some protected inside the enclosed entryway of the credit union that you have to swipe your debit card to access the glass doorway.

i try not to need ATMs too much too, by having enough cash on hand at home (not a lot $200 or so) so that I can space ATM use out to when it is safer circumstances to use one.

Last edited:

Hone

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    You did the right thing - I've run into the same problem and the easiest solution is use the ATM inside the convenience store if you're in a neighborhood where that's likely to happen at a bank branch. It's worth the 2 dollar fee.

Also keep in mind, you can maintain better distance by using your truck + ATM as a meat grinder.. Just food for thought.

When will the bad guys learn to profile? If I were him, I'd have seen the big Dodge truck and said to myself "Well, that guy's armed.." He should have waited for the Prius driver with all the Coexist and GreenPeace signs on the back.

Top Bottom