• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Okay, How many of you have any problem taking your precious out into the elements to fire it. It is raining like hell where I am and before anyone comes up with "Who brings you in out of the rain", I do. Didnt intentionally do it, but trying to direct drainage and decided to practice a little bit with the rain in my face. You can always clean it.
    Texas SOT

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Buy a Glock. lol ;) Seriously, those things are like lawnmowers. hehe In all seriousness though, I can see plenty of firearms I would feel bad about taking out in the rain. Worst case, depending on the type of gun and whether it is more prone to rust (like a 1911 or something), you could always try just wiping the entire thing down with oil so it is practically soaked and that there isn't any bare metal.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Prone to rust?? It is a 1911 ,with stags. That is why I wasnt worried about shootin it in the rain. I would put it up against anything out there. I have never owned a firearm that wont rust., including stainless. Glock is great firearm and I owned several, but, dont think they are bulletproof. You gotta take care of anything tool you use.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It was my 25th birthday today, and my gift was a lots of craters on my car after the hailstorm was done with it. It got hit with baseball sized hail up where I was.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Sig Fiend

I didnt mean to sound condescending [SIC] My original post was meant to ask whether anyone was worried about getting their main gun in the weather. If we are worried about a little rain or dust, you might want to rethink your choice.HAHA:patriot:

boycan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    I didnt mean to sound condescending [SIC] My original post was meant to ask whether anyone was worried about getting their main gun in the weather. If we are worried about a little rain or dust, you might want to rethink your choice.HAHA:patriot:

I won't worry about any of the elements on my weapons thats why we clean them. But it does bring up a story my dad always told me about a single shot 22 rifle that my Gramps bought off someone for 1 dollar during the depression. My Gramps liked the sauce a little too much and Dad said many weekends Gramps would come home after a wild night and my Dad would hide that 22 and all the sharp knives in a bar ditch under water for the whole weekend till Gramps sobered up and had to go back to the feilds (sharecroppers) then my Grandma would give dad two shells and he would get that 22 out of the bar ditch and go get two rabbits for Gramps dinner when he got home. I still have that 22 and it shoots and looks great, but Dad, Gramps and Grams have long since passed and hopefully gettin along alot better where ever they are now!

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I don't worry about the elements, as civilians, we baby our guns. If you have something (HK, Glock, etc..) used in military or law enforcement, they get put into the elements all the time and keep on going. You should just keep them clean & oiled.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I got my HD out in the rain today. Of course that was from the truck to the UPS Customer Counter at DFW and it was in the case, wrapped in bubble wrap and sealed up in a box!

But the box got a few raindrops on it.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I've taken my Glock 22 and P228 SIG out to shoot in the rain. Hell...they're service pistols...not some 3 thousand dollar custom 1911 safe queens! As long as they're oiled up and cleaned afterwards....I have never seen rust on any of them.

Actually, the Glock 22 rarely if ever gets cleaned and it still has no rust on it since 1994. Sometimes, I like to see how filthy it will get and still function and its never let me down. Probably why its my #1 defense pistol and the prettier ones stay in the safe.

Use some CLP or Blue Armadillo on your pistols and you won't see rust.

- brickboy240

(lately...in our part of Texas...we're just glad it IS raining...we need it! LOL)

Top Bottom