inexpensive, comfortable earmuffs?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by kfriddile, Sep 2, 2008.

1. kfriddile

kfriddile Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Just started shooting and all of the cheapo earmuffs I've used so far slowly get more and more painful to the sides of my head and ears that I eventually have to stop shooting and take them off for awhile. Most sporting goods stores I've been at don't have any way to try them on before you buy them. Can anyone recommend some comfortable, relatively inexpensive ones?

2. allforbirds

allforbirds New Member

Jul 29, 2008
    I picked up a pair of radian brand from academy and they are comfortable, mine are pink and cost about $15. I can wear them for 2+ hours with no problems.

Also purchased the same brand in electronic and happy with them, cost about $85 from cabela's.

3. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Here's a link to the pair I wear. I have the ultraslims and love them for range time. Pretty cheap too and I either got them from Academy or Gander Mountain sorry I don't remember which.

Howard Leight Hearing Protection - Leightning Series

Edited to add that I have no experience with the website but provided the link as an information source not an endorsement for this company.

4. jarhead79

jarhead79 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    I use a Winchester set. Walmart for less than $10. I use them in the shop, on the lawnmower, at the range, etc., etc.

Nate

5. baboon

baboon Well-Known

For the most part I like plugs better in the TEXAS heat. SureFire's Ear Pro Sonic Defenders seem to be the ones I've used the most.

6. kfriddile

kfriddile Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Well I picked up some Howard Leight UltraSlims at Academy for $18. They feel much more comfortable than the cheapies I've been using, although I haven't tried them out on an extended range visit yet. I tried plugs, but most of my shooting is indoors and it was just too loud. Anyways...thanks for the suggestions:bowdown:

7. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Gladewater, TX
    +1 I bought two pair of the Winchester muffs for my wife and i when we go to the range. Great for just about every use except for when my wife was mad at me and i put them on trying to be funny. She did not find that funny though.

8. TdDude

TdDude Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Houston
    I have these as well. They are not what I would consider cheap but they have the best dbSPL reduction specs across the spectrum and are very comfortable as muffs go. The pads are also flexible enough to mold around your shooting glasses arms so they still work with your glasses on.

:texas::texas::texas::texas::texas: