• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carney

Mar 8, 2008
    Outside DFW metromess.
    I am trying to get some ideas for a quality inexpensive, snub nose type revolver. My parents just took their chl class, they used two of my fullsize glocks in the class but they both said they would like something a little smaller, and right now each of them have an older .22 revolver that belonged to their parents. I was wanting to get them each a good snub nose revolver for christmas. I'll be honest here I have no idea what quality revolvers are out there. I am open to all major brands, such as smith and wesson, ruger, taurus, rossi, and whatever else is out there. I would prefer a .38spl or .357 mag, finish doesn't really matter.
    Texas SOT

idleprocess

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Ruger makes quality revolvers at a decent price. They're built like tanks.
    I have a GP100 that I'm happy with.

The SP101 line is their more compact line.

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdRes...riation=Satin Stainless&bct=Yes&type=Revolver

.357 revolvers can fire the more-controllable .38 special round in any pressure loading.

I'm hearing good things about the .327 Federal Magnum cartridge, but keep in mind that it's not easy to find and fairly new.

You should be able to find them for less than the suggested retail price on their website.

shaggydog

Jun 12, 2008
    College Station
    Ruger makes quality revolvers at a decent price. They're built like tanks.
    I have a GP100 that I'm happy with.

The SP101 line is their more compact line.

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdRes...riation=Satin Stainless&bct=Yes&type=Revolver

.357 revolvers can fire the more-controllable .38 special round in any pressure loading.

I'm hearing good things about the .327 Federal Magnum cartridge, but keep in mind that it's not easy to find and fairly new.

You should be able to find them for less than the suggested retail price on their website.

I agree. I have owned and shot Ruger wheel guns for years and, IMO, they cannot be beat for price and quality.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 4, 2008
    Smith and Wesson make great snubs.If the price is an issue,Charter arms makes some decent snubs.Ruger makes good revolvers but I have never owned a snub from them so I cannot rate them.I had the SP101 .327 but could not order any ammo locally so I sold it.

50calRay

Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    Personaly, I went with a Tuarus UL 38 spl. It's lite, cheap, and realiable.

pix2067538265.jpg

machinisttx

Mar 4, 2008
    Might consider a Taurus or maybe the new issue S&W "Lemon Squeezer" with the built in grip safety. It is out of their classic line.

The Lemon Squeezer is an entirely different gun than the Model 40(what you are referring to).

For the OP-- I carry a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum. I do not advise that new or inexperienced shooters purchase a snubby revolver, and I furthermore do not advise anyone buy one if they won't practice with it on a regular basis. They aren't easy to shoot well and have enough recoil to make them seriously unpleasant to shoot if the wrong set of grips/stocks are used.

If they will practice, both shooting AND loading, a snubbie is a good choice. They're small and light enough that they will be carried. Contrary to popular belief, snubbies aren't any less accurate than longer barreled revolvers. Hitting man sized targets at 100 yards isn't a difficult task if one knows the gun and the load.

Just make sure it's an all steel version rather than the goofy lightweight crap that only makes recoil worse.

idleprocess

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Just make sure it's an all steel version rather than the goofy lightweight crap that only makes recoil worse.

Yeah descriptions of shooting .357 out of those titanium frame snubbies that vary from after two cylinders I didn't want to shoot it ever again to the more dramatic it tried to sever my hand at the wrist!

kgdbtx

Jun 15, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Think about a Rossi

Pound for pound, the Rossi is the best value. They even have a 357 snub about the same size as the 38 special, for about $270. I think the 38 snub is $220 or something close to that. They are well made, and reliable. The only thing I'll mention is that the double action pull is a big stout on some of them, but overall, no big deal.

noelnkeith

May 3, 2008
    Blanco, TX
    I suggest having your Mom shoot a few different calibers before you buy, my wife didn't like the recoil of the .38 special in such a small frame, so she went with the Taurus .32 H&R Magnum on the left, S&W used to make a dual action .32 Mag but they don't anymore, Taurus still does and the hammer safety is nice also, I pulled the Taurus hammer back and let go & it won't fire unless it's cocked all the way or shot double action which is nice in a purse.
    101_0152-Copy.gif

wildcat

May 3, 2008
    There is new S & W Model 10-8 2" Barrel near Austin .38 Special for $295.00 at Texas Gun Trader on the net

shinerjohn

Jun 10, 2008
    Central Texas
    I prefer Rossi

I have the Rossi 462. It's a 357 stainless steel with 2" barrel. It is steel - not titanium or aluminum. It's 26 ounces but the weight helps a lot with recoil. For self defense, I carry Winchester 110gr 357's. But a 38spec +P can be effective and it is more pleasant to shoot. At Academy in Abilene, the cost was $289 plus tax. I like it better than the $349 Taurus 85 ultra lite 38spec that is now back at the factory for repair for the 2nd time in 4 months! If they don't fix it this time, I'll dump it and buy the Rossi 351 blued 38spec 2" for $249.

Top Bottom