• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    AR-7. It's really the ultimate go-anywhere survival .22. Even the Air Force used (uses?) them. Price is very good, too.

The Charter Arms versions have a high likelihood of needing tweaking. Armalite and Henry are GTG.
    Gun Zone Deals

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Am I the only one who says stay away from that AR7? The 5 different ones I've pkayed with only cycled cci stinger

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Kel-tec sub 2000. Sometimes a .22 is not enough. Although I will admit that a plastic firearm is not optimum for places that sear the interior of your car. I used to have a thermometer in my car with a high and low max temp indicator. I have easily had several days in the 180 degree range. This will tend to deteriorate plastic more rapidly than lower storage temperatures. Personally I only keep all stainless steel weapons for these situations.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30.

.22 LR is fun at the range and bagging squirrels; no so much for deer, wild hogs, or two legged predators.

cssmith56

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Enjoying all the comments... I'd heard of the ar7 which would definitely be my top choice if I was hiking/kayaking etc. the others like the stainless 10/22, keltec sub 2000, and mini 14/30 are out of my price range at the moment.

I currently have a Marlin 795 that would be fine if all I wanted was a 22. Just trying to get the most use out of a single rifle. I wish someone besides Rossi made an exchangeable barrel rimfire/shotgun combo at a reasonable price. I keep thinking if I was stuck without my other firearms it would be nice to have a shotgun with multiple types of rounds and the 22.

Would I be better off getting a separate .410 or 20ga shotgun to pair with my 795 as opposed to going with the Rossi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I bought a new Henry AR7 3 years ago. The front sight is awful. Big floppy piece of plastic. If you need to hit a watermelon at 25 yards then it should be OK.

I sold it after 2 range trips.

Get the stainless 10/22. It will hit what you're aiming at.

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    >Objective: an inexpensive (<$250) rifle to keep permanently in my SUV for use in a survival/emergency/SHTF situation where I am unable to get home and access the firearms in my safe.<

I guess I'm wondering why you are stuck on "survival" rifles and rimfire? In a survival/emergency/SHTF situation you're going to want a Rifle, any rifle you have is going to become your survival rifle. Have you ever hunted with a 22? You think rabbits just sit there while you take aim and pop them?? If you can't get home because it's a SHTF situation you think an AR-7 is going to be your best bet for getting through whatever is ahead?? Do a simple search on Gun Broker, go with a bolt action rifle and pick one in any rifle caliber with a scope that falls in your price range, plenty of them under $250 after shipping, and you will have a rifle. If you are serious about having a truck gun get a serious truck gun. The AR-7 and the M-6 and the rest were designed because aircrews didn't have the space for much else, why limit yourself, you have the room? Using a 30-06 or a .270 to kill a rabbit may be a bit much, but in a SHTF situation if you need it for something besides rabbits, we can hope it would be enough, for sure more than a rimfire would be...

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    eza5y4e9.jpg
    these any good?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    >Objective: an inexpensive (<$250) rifle to keep permanently in my SUV for use in a survival/emergency/SHTF situation where I am unable to get home and access the firearms in my safe.<

I guess I'm wondering why you are stuck on "survival" rifles and rimfire? In a survival/emergency/SHTF situation you're going to want a Rifle, any rifle you have is going to become your survival rifle. Have you ever hunted with a 22? You think rabbits just sit there while you take aim and pop them?? If you can't get home because it's a SHTF situation you think an AR-7 is going to be your best bet for getting through whatever is ahead?? Do a simple search on Gun Broker, go with a bolt action rifle and pick one in any rifle caliber with a scope that falls in your price range, plenty of them under $250 after shipping, and you will have a rifle. If you are serious about having a truck gun get a serious truck gun. The AR-7 and the M-6 and the rest were designed because aircrews didn't have the space for much else, why limit yourself, you have the room? Using a 30-06 or a .270 to kill a rabbit may be a bit much, but in a SHTF situation if you need it for something besides rabbits, we can hope it would be enough, for sure more than a rimfire would be...

Well, In my experience rabbits typically DO sit there while you shoot them. They are not that elusive. There is a tone of game to be taken with a .22.

As far as bolt actions go, 270 etc, why so much gun? If you think you will be fighting you way home and AR or AK is a MUCH better option than an old hunting rifle.

.22 should be part of every survival kit and if S truly HTF it will be my main source of food.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    How many rounds are you planning on storing in the vehicle? How do you plan on carrying all your supplies while on the run?

I'd recommend fixing up a nice small-medium sized survival pack (bug out bag). You will probably need more than just a gun and ammo. This bag can contain your ammo, medical kit, knives, tools, lighters, lifestraw, fishing gear, and whatever else you need. You can take this bag from the house to vehicle to work, vice versa, no need to keep in vehicle all the time.

I would imagine you can take game and survive with your carry gun if necessary, or a sling shot or BB gun for birds and stuff. Maybe try getting books on edible bugs and plants.

Me, if I had to image your situation, I would have to think that if things were bad enough to have to abandon vehicle and live off the land, in order to get home to my family I might have to do a good deal of fighting, potentially killing whoever gets in my way. In that case, sort of in your price range, I'll take a shotgun or Ruger American with a decent scope in .243 Winchester. Screw the .22. Yes a AR/AK or something would be better.

Long term survival, you'll run out of ammo eventually.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Totally agree on having a bug out or survival bag. I can see situations that don't involve fighting though. Some type of natural disaster is probably much more likely, or even being stranded in the middle of nowhere for whatever reason, even car trouble.

At minimum, first aid kit and maybe some dehydrated water in case you get thirsty.

Couldn't help myself:p

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    Well, In my experience rabbits typically DO sit there while you shoot them. They are not that elusive. There is a tone of game to be taken with a .22.

As far as bolt actions go, 270 etc, why so much gun? If you think you will be fighting you way home and AR or AK is a MUCH better option than an old hunting rifle.

.22 should be part of every survival kit and if S truly HTF it will be my main source of food.

Must be some stupid rabbits in hill country, after a life time of hunting your comment makes me think you've hunted very little small game, and since when is there ever a case of too much gun or too much ammo. You can't get an AK or AR for under $250 but you sure can get an "old hunting rifle" which pretty much was what was used to fight several world wars. I'd take an old hunting rifle any day over a rimfire in any SHTF situation whether it be man made or nature having a bad day.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Must be a Central Texas thing, I got stupid rabbits too. But a
    .22 will put them in the pot. My main issue, evade, use guns as a last resort. Food or self defense, quit as possible and as accurate as possible. Even if you win the fight, you attract a lot of attention. Very unwanted attention.

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

cssmith56

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    How many rounds are you planning on storing in the vehicle? How do you plan on carrying all your supplies while on the run?

I'd recommend fixing up a nice small-medium sized survival pack (bug out bag). You will probably need more than just a gun and ammo. This bag can contain your ammo, medical kit, knives, tools, lighters, lifestraw, fishing gear, and whatever else you need. You can take this bag from the house to vehicle to work, vice versa, no need to keep in vehicle all the time.

I would imagine you can take game and survive with your carry gun if necessary, or a sling shot or BB gun for birds and stuff. Maybe try getting books on edible bugs and

Long term survival, you'll run out of ammo eventually.

I have the rest of the gear covered already in my vehicle, with extra in the garage/house should time allow to load it up. The last order of business is the firearm.

Maybe in a few years when my budgetary constraints are different I'll have a whole arsenal under my floorboards, but for now it is what it is. Based on my research and conversations the 22lr is the way to go for sustenance. Can carry tons of ammo, inexpensive if you can find it, and quiet so as not to give away your position as easily. Anyway I'm not even considering anything bigger at this point but to each his own. Again I will have my conceal carry and extra ammo for that which will provide some self defense capability.

To summarize everyone's comments:
    - stainless is preferable but other materials fine as long as they are lubricated and maintained as they should be... And not bouncing around.
    - rossi's are junk except when they're not (mediocre quality control)
    - 10/22 is the best 22 for many people
    - ar7 is convenient but possible cycling issues
    - ammo can be stored in a vehicle just fine
    - for some people it's best to get the most powerful gun you can afford if that's all might have in a worst case scenario

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom