• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cssmith56

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    OK so this is a few questions in one but considering the rifles I'm looking at are rimfires (.22LR) of one sort or another I figure this is the best forum. Also, I just got (more seriously) into firearms this past year as I did not grow up around them so forgive my ignorance on some areas :)

Objective: an inexpensive (<$250) rifle to keep permanently in my SUV for use in a survival/emergency/SHTF situation where I am unable to get home and access the firearms in my safe. I expect I would have my conceal carry pistol on me at any given time so this rifle need not be for self defense necessarily... more for small/medium game hunting. I would also need to keep a small cache of ammo in the vehicle to go with it.

First off: is this even possible to do without damaging/ruining the rifle or ammunition? What would I need to do to ensure heat/humidity do not render them useless? How would I store the rifle/ammo?

Second: any thoughts/experience with the Rossi matched pairs... the ones that come with both a .22 and shotgun barrel (either .410 or 20ga)?

Thanks!
    Lynx Defense

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just about any mainstream rim fire would fit the bill.

Maybe a marlin or Remington in stainless to help with any rust problems. Should be a little cheaper than a 10/22.

Might consider mag fed so you could keep a couple loaded mags ready to go.

I didn't look at your location, but if you're no on the coast rusting probably won't be a big problem. Just pull it out every now and then and wipe it down with an oiled cloth.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Rossi will rust.

I have a Rossi Trifecta and my kids have all but destroyed every piece of plastic on it. I don't think it could handle being thrown behind a seat and left to bounce around.

Get a stainless Ruger 10/22 and some Ruger mags for it. Good to go without any special treatment.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The rossi matched pars are nice guns for the money, and accurate enough. I think it is Henry that still makes one that the action ammo and barrel fit in the stock with a water tight cap and it floats. I used to have pistol version in the 80s. Very accurate pistol.

And it is 22lr
    from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The rossi matched pars are nice guns for the money, and accurate enough. I think it is Henry that still makes one that the action ammo and barrel fit in the stock with a water tight cap and it floats. I used to have pistol version in the 80s. Very accurate pistol.

And it is 22lr
    from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Survival rifle but I don't think it is a Henry anymore. But it is still made by somebody.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Wilderness or urban survival? For a wilderness gun I think I would take a look at the chiappa m6. It's their version of the old springfield M-6 air crew survival gun. One of the things I like about the Chiappa is that it comes in 22 and 20 instead of the 410 in the springfield. Chiappa also has a 12 gauge version that comes with inserts allowing you to use something like 10 different calibers out of the gun. Urban is a whole different deal and I might look at a pistol carbine if there is a good one that matches your carry pistol mags. Now you may also just want a truck gun and not specifically a "survival" rifle. In that case my thoughts go to a 22 lever for reliability and the ability to feed and shoot any ammo. I know that with my 22 autos they can be picky some times and if the ammo isn't fresh enough it can cause some issues and with a lever action you just cycle the action and go to the next round. Either way ammo is a non issue. While their are many storage options jeven a ziplock bag with some desiccant or even just rice will do just fine for years in the most humid environments. Just rotate the ammo every once in a while just in case and I wouldn't worry.

cssmith56

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    I live in San Antonio so it would be more for the hill country (wilderness?). I like the idea of having an option between 22lr and a shotgun round for bird hunting... Or even using slugs/buckshot for deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    another vote for a stainless Ruger 10/22, either a take-down model or one of the new Talo models with the ATI folding/collapsible stocks
    rug_11113lg.jpg

I have both, and the take down comes with a nice case with plenty of storage for ammo and the case doubles as a shooting rest.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    I've heard of several issues with the newer AR-7s not feeding properly, but I've never had any problems with my old Charter Arms AR-7. 25 round magazines are almost impossible to find, but they do have storage for an extra 7 round magazine. I have an old Ramline 25 round and a couple of 7 round magazines, so it works for me.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Stainless Ruger 10/22 Takedown gets my vote. Mine has replaced the Marlin model 60 I used to carry in my truck. I keep it, one 10rd mag and 2 BX25 mags, and 500 rounds of ammo under the rear seat.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Stainless Ruger 10/22 Takedown gets my vote. Mine has replaced the Marlin model 60 I used to carry in my truck. I keep it, one 10rd mag and 2 BX25 mags, and 500 rounds of ammo under the rear seat.

or, known in New York as "A large cache of weapons and ammunition"

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    What are those pump 22s? If I had one it would be sitting under my back seat with some remoil, steel wool, and 200 rounds. Just try and shoot it once a month to keep it fresh and use the remoil and steel wool to keep it pretty.

Top Bottom