inflate tire w/wd-40

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DCortez, Apr 13, 2009.

1. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Got this in an email, crazy stuff.

<A href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myi-MxNCI4o" target=_blank>YouTube - How to inflate a tire with WD 40

2. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    He's not inflating it, he's just seating the bead on the rim, which can be a PITA to do on a large tire like that. This is very dangerous, since if you get too big an explosion, it'll blow the tire right off the rim. Notice how he stood to one side?

Also, I'm not sure how well WD-40 would work, it's supposedly non-flammable with "new" (it's been, what, 10 years?) CO2 propellant. They used to use propane...

I've heard of using starting fluid, brake cleaner or carb cleaner for this though. Not that I ever would.

Put a rope around the middle of the tread, put a short bar through the rope and tighten it like a tourniquet, then just add air through the valve stem when the bead touches the rim.

3. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    You . . . along with half a million others.

Folks, leave the "email chain letters" / "perpetually forwarded funnies" / "Wow - proof that [public figure] is [something scandalous]" emails in your inbox, please.

We all get them, and I personally don't like seeing it taking up forum resources.

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Tis off topic sir!

5. drj3828

drj3828 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    In the farming equipment repair we use starting fluid (ether) to seat the beads of large tractor tires. I have also used it on light truck and car tires. Just a little blast and a match works wonders. Been doing it for years with only one mess up, blew the both beads over the rim. Man it was a jop getting the tire off the rim.
    drj

6. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Using spoons isn't fun. I've done it.

7. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Old school trick here.
    I had to change a tire on an old bud rim once and dam near blew that one up using starter fluid.
    Anyone who has ever had to change a tire on an old 2 piece rim knows how scary that is.:rofl:

8. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    Bingo, a true country boy repair. A jack of all trades and master of none
    but it gets me through.

9. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    yep!! thats the way we do it in the bush on the big trucks

10. Big country

Big country TGT Addict