inflate tire w/wd-40

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
He's not inflating it, he's just seating the bead on the rim, which can be a PITA to do on a large tire like that. This is very dangerous, since if you get too big an explosion, it'll blow the tire right off the rim. Notice how he stood to one side?

Also, I'm not sure how well WD-40 would work, it's supposedly non-flammable with "new" (it's been, what, 10 years?) CO2 propellant. They used to use propane...

I've heard of using starting fluid, brake cleaner or carb cleaner for this though. Not that I ever would.

Put a rope around the middle of the tread, put a short bar through the rope and tighten it like a tourniquet, then just add air through the valve stem when the bead touches the rim.

nalioth

Oct 13, 2008
Houston Metro
Got this in an email, <snip>
You . . . along with half a million others.

Folks, leave the "email chain letters" / "perpetually forwarded funnies" / "Wow - proof that [public figure] is [something scandalous]" emails in your inbox, please.

We all get them, and I personally don't like seeing it taking up forum resources.

drj3828

Mar 4, 2008
Grimes County, TX
In the farming equipment repair we use starting fluid (ether) to seat the beads of large tractor tires. I have also used it on light truck and car tires. Just a little blast and a match works wonders. Been doing it for years with only one mess up, blew the both beads over the rim. Man it was a jop getting the tire off the rim.
drj

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
Jan 23, 2009
Ft.Worth
In the farming equipment repair we use starting fluid (ether) to seat the beads of large tractor tires. I have also used it on light truck and car tires. Just a little blast and a match works wonders. Been doing it for years with only one mess up, blew the both beads over the rim. Man it was a jop getting the tire off the rim.
drj
Old school trick here.
I had to change a tire on an old bud rim once and dam near blew that one up using starter fluid.
Anyone who has ever had to change a tire on an old 2 piece rim knows how scary that is.

oldguy

Well-Known
Mar 6, 2008
Put a rope around the middle of the tread, put a short bar through the rope and tighten it like a tourniquet, then just add air through the valve stem when the bead touches the rim.
Bingo, a true country boy repair. A jack of all trades and master of none
but it gets me through.

Big country

TGT Addict
Mar 6, 2009
Cedar Park,TX
We used eather on tires when I worked on 18 wheeler's

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast