• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    He's not inflating it, he's just seating the bead on the rim, which can be a PITA to do on a large tire like that. This is very dangerous, since if you get too big an explosion, it'll blow the tire right off the rim. Notice how he stood to one side?

Also, I'm not sure how well WD-40 would work, it's supposedly non-flammable with "new" (it's been, what, 10 years?) CO2 propellant. They used to use propane...

I've heard of using starting fluid, brake cleaner or carb cleaner for this though. Not that I ever would.

Put a rope around the middle of the tread, put a short bar through the rope and tighten it like a tourniquet, then just add air through the valve stem when the bead touches the rim.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Got this in an email, <snip>
    You . . . along with half a million others.

Folks, leave the "email chain letters" / "perpetually forwarded funnies" / "Wow - proof that [public figure] is [something scandalous]" emails in your inbox, please.

We all get them, and I personally don't like seeing it taking up forum resources.

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    In the farming equipment repair we use starting fluid (ether) to seat the beads of large tractor tires. I have also used it on light truck and car tires. Just a little blast and a match works wonders. Been doing it for years with only one mess up, blew the both beads over the rim. Man it was a jop getting the tire off the rim.
    drj

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    In the farming equipment repair we use starting fluid (ether) to seat the beads of large tractor tires. I have also used it on light truck and car tires. Just a little blast and a match works wonders. Been doing it for years with only one mess up, blew the both beads over the rim. Man it was a jop getting the tire off the rim.
    drj

Old school trick here.
    I had to change a tire on an old bud rim once and dam near blew that one up using starter fluid.
    Anyone who has ever had to change a tire on an old 2 piece rim knows how scary that is.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Put a rope around the middle of the tread, put a short bar through the rope and tighten it like a tourniquet, then just add air through the valve stem when the bead touches the rim.

Bingo, a true country boy repair. A jack of all trades and master of none
    but it gets me through.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Bingo, a true country boy repair. A jack of all trades and master of none
    but it gets me through.

I've done it at work to mount tires. It's safer than the ether method, and doesn't freak customers out with big fireballs.

Makes you wonder, who in the heck thinks this stuff up. I would have wussed out and taken the tire into town, lol.

It's not too far removed from using air powered bead-seating tools. I've used 'em, and basically it's a good-size air tank with a nozzle and huge ball valve on it. It dumps air fast down inside the tire past the bead, and the tire bounces up. Newer tire machines have that feature built into the turn table, though.

But I think desperation and frustration are pretty good sources for fixes like this. "Damn, I just need a quick pop to get it on there..."

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    Back in the late 70's I was working at a shop that sold and repaired log truck and skidder tires. We use the ether alot on the tubeless skidder tires, of course we would use about 1/3 of a can on those size tires they where taller than me. We had one of those blaster bottles but it was not enough for those large ones.
    We tried the chain and boomer method but when we hit the air to it it tore some of the lugs off of the tire.

carneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    We would do that to seat our tractor tires. The old rope trick doesn't work too well when the tire is 5-6 ft in diameter.

Top Bottom