• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Several companies are now making .45 ACP with small primers. These are so-called lead free rounds. If you pick up any brass at the range, sooner or later you'll find a couple of these while you're trying to re-prime the brass. I checked around the 'net and found all sorts of differing opinions, so I decided to write to Hodgdon and ask them about it. This is the response I got:

Toss the small primer pocket 45 ACP brass into the trash bin. They are for lead free primers, special powders and fully enclosed bullets. The flash holes are enlarged making these cases undesirable.

Mike Daly
    Cutomer Service Manager
    Hodgdon Family of Fine Propellants
    Hodgdon Smokeless Powder
    IMR Powder Company
    Winchester Smokeless Propellants
    GOEX Blackpowder
    ARJ Defense ad

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Yep, toss it. Used to find it all the time when I worked an indoor range in Abilene. Never ceased to give me grief. It was a part-time job, and I got all the once fired brass I wanted, so I can't complain too much.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I put those steel cases in the same category with the lead free crap.

The .45 GAP does use a small primer, but they're not using the lead free primers which (apparently) change the needed size of flash hole and powder.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I reloaded some with 4.8 gr 231, Zero 230g FMJ and CCI SPP and they worked just fine out of the Colt...couldn't tell any difference with the same load using CCI LPP.

Smokewagon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    West Texas
    They can be a problem when in the process of reloading a batch and you miss one. Since I found my first ones at the range, inspecting .45 acp brass for small primers is just another step in the inspection process.

hogrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Texas
    Several companies are now making .45 ACP with small primers. These are so-called lead free rounds. If you pick up any brass at the range, sooner or later you'll find a couple of these while you're trying to re-prime the brass. I checked around the 'net and found all sorts of differing opinions, so I decided to write to Hodgdon and ask them about it. This is the response I got:

Toss the small primer pocket 45 ACP brass into the trash bin. They are for lead free primers, special powders and fully enclosed bullets. The flash holes are enlarged making these cases undesirable.

Mike Daly
    Cutomer Service Manager
    Hodgdon Family of Fine Propellants
    Hodgdon Smokeless Powder
    IMR Powder Company
    Winchester Smokeless Propellants
    GOEX Blackpowder

Might not be "desirable" as Mike Daly states, but I use the small primer brass for rat-shot load in my Colt. I just hate to see good brass go to waste.

Top Bottom