• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    ive been wanting to try this for a long time but being new to the state of texas/ dallas area im not sure where to start. i would like to try my hand at a shooting comp like IDPA,USPSA or even a local comp. ive seen the websites and looked at the info, but is there a place in the dallas area thats set up for practicing for comps? any hints for getting started? any info would be of great help.
    ARJ Defense ad

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    First thing I would do is find all the clubs in your area that are recognized by USPSA or IDPA, whichever you choose to shoot. Some clubs even have representation for both sports so that’s always a plus! Next find out which of these clubs have their own or at least club level access to a range. Once you have narrowed down your list I would visit a hosted match for each one of these clubs. Don't be in a rush to join up right away… IDPA and USPSA can be pretty different crowds so see which one you prefer. With that said the culture could vary from club to club so you want to make sure visit everyone to find a place where you can fit in. That should cover you for at least a month or two... and all the while you are getting your feet wet in the sport, meeting new people, and practicing techniques you have observed by folks a little more seasoned than you. By now you would've probably shot if not every weekend... every other weekend so you got at least 4 good weeks of hands on practice… and hopefully you met some really good people! By now your next step should be pretty clear to you! I wouldn't harp so much on a place to practice when you’re first starting out… just get out there and go… and keep going back. Some guys come out… shoot once and say they aren’t coming back until they’ve practiced some more, then you never see them again! Practice is important but, so is experience… so go out and have a blast and remember you are only competing against yourself!

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Best way to find out which ranges in the area allow practicing USPSA and IDPA is to go to a local match and ask the guys there where they practice. I'm not too familiar with the different club rules in the Dallas area so I can't help much there. Here's a map with most all the practical shooting clubs in Texas.
    Texas Ranges with Practical Pistol Matches - Google Maps

As for getting started just jump on in. Show up 30 minutes before the scheduled start time, find out who is in charge and let him know you are a new shooter. They should tell you everything you need to know about the rules and safety procedures at that point. Your first match go slow, have fun, and focus on following the safety rules, that's the only thing everyone there cares about with new shooters. No one is going to think badly of you if you miss or go slow but they will not be happy if you have a safety violation. Bring a pistol, holster, magazines, ammo, eye and ear protection. For IDPA you'll normally need ~100 rounds, 3 magazines, and some type of concealment like a vest or shirt to cover your holster. For USPSA matches I usually bring 200 rounds and 4-5 magazines. Don't worry too much about equipment at first, go to a few matches and see what other people are using and like. There is a division for most pistols in IDPA and USPSA to compete against similar platforms so you won't be at much of a disadvantage with whatever you have.

I was nervous before going to my first competition, dry fired a bunch at home practicing draws and reloads. Went to my first match and found out many of the techniques I was practicing were less than ideal. Don't get too worried about practicing before your first match.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Good start is here also. United States Practical Shooting Association zone 4 of course.
    If you go to a match for the 1st time make sure you have at least 2 double mag pouches a holster and 200+ rounds.
    I stick with one club myself which is USPSA because there is a match every weekend and I know the rules.
    I was worried on my first match but one thing for sure everybody is there to have fun and they will but you under their wing and I never once encountered a ass hole.
    Another good thing I'm a terrible shot and will never win but I'm never last.
    You can get a holster and mag pouches from MidwayUSA in 3 days.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    thanks for the pointer and that map with the locations helped out. the terrell gun club was a surprise because im a state trooper stationed in terrell and never once seen that place. generally, how many mags do you need? i have two 12 rounders and a 9 for my springfield xd sub. i reload so having 200 rounds is not one problem.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    For IDPA 3 magazines is all you need. Maximum number of rounds shot on a stage is 18. For USPSA with that pistol you'd be most competitive in Production division and you'll need 4 mags minimum. USPSA stages are up to 32 rounds and in production division you can only load 10 rounds per magazine.

Twincannons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    North Texas
    Bryonbush

I'm a member of Terrell Rifle and Pistol Club and I also live in Mesquite, we have IDPA match every third saturday and welcome new folks to IDPA. If you want to come out to the club some time you can PM me here and I or I can set up some one to meet you at the range and show you around, otherwise come on out next month for IDPA and bring your gear. As a LEO you can wear your duty gear and be IDPA legal, we have quite a number of LEOs that shoot with us each month.

JD

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    thanks for the offer and if im not working ill definatly take you up on your offer. the next few weekends are going to be buisy for me because im gitting married back home in michigan. but im pretty excited to try my hand at this because ive been wanting to try for a long time. maybe tonight at work ill swing over to the gun club and check it out. thank again for the offer.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    This is a good thread for me. I am seriously thinking of a hobby change. I ride motocross and have been recovering from a crash for 3 months now. This is hard while trying to serve in the Army National Guard and take care of a family. I am thinking of trying IDPA here in Houston. I hope everyone is as welcoming as yall have stated! I need to go check out a match.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    This is a good thread for me. I am seriously thinking of a hobby change. I ride motocross and have been recovering from a crash for 3 months now. This is hard while trying to serve in the Army National Guard and take care of a family. I am thinking of trying IDPA here in Houston. I hope everyone is as welcoming as yall have stated! I need to go check out a match.
    Next weekend Saturday August 7th there is an IDPA match not far from Katy. The WHIDPA crew that runs it is very friendly and makes it easy for new guys. I should be there as well. They also have an IDPA match every Wednesday night but I don't make those often due to work.
    http://www.whidpa.com

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    Come on out. You will not find a nicer bunch of guys. I shoot some of the IDPA, USPSA, and 3-gun matches @ Impact Zone west of Katy. Jason is one of the top shooters and always willing to help out a new shooter. Bring your gun, holster, ammo, and 3 or 4 mags and they will team you up with an experienced shooter.

PSC in Friendswood has some kind of match almost every weekend from pin, steel challenges, and plate shoots to USPSA and IDPA. There is something for everyone.

Top Bottom