• ...and so much more!
  • innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Not much of a city guy, but the best cities I've ever been to have been Nashville, TN and Montgomery, AL. So I think Texas has to have at least one good big city, hoping Houston is that one.
    Man, you lost me at Montgomery. I lived there about 15 years ago. Maybe it's done a 180 since then.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I'm going to pick on your comment a bit because I hear this a lot.

"Oh man X is so far from X"

I just don't get that local attitude here. For how big Texas and Houston is, locals can't be bothered to drive across the street sometimes. ;)

Maybe my perception is skewed some how but any of the burbs to downtown is just no big deal for me minus the usual traffic.

Heck, we've taken afternoon trips from Richmond to Baytown to see friends and people I've talked to are shocked we didn't make it an overnight trip.
    When in Houston, I don't mind the distance. I mind the TIME. The older I get, the less I like stop and go traffic.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    First time I went to Houston I flew Southwest into Bobby and took a cab to my hotel in a nicer part of the downtown area. My first impression was seeing three or four different instances of LEO holding young punks at gunpoint on several street corners near the airport.

With that said, my stay was great with good shopping and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel where my conference was.

As noted earlier, like any big city you should do your research and be smart, not afraid.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I was recently presented with an opportunity to go out to Houston to see a World Series game. (Which I may not be able to act on anyway) but was wondering what the city of Houston was like, and what to expect? May go next year to check it out if I cant make it.
    It SUCKS.......even more than Austin.

Last edited:

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Guys, remember this is a Californian - you need to do some translations for him. ;)
    "Million dollar home" to a CA res is equiv. to ~150k home in Houston after all.
    Tell him to GTFB to Kalifornia. Last thing Texas needs is another Kalifornian. Even a gun friendly Kalifornian.

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    For all the talk of "Houston Proud", it doesn't have much of a defining culture.

It very much does and has for almost a century, Oil. It 's a culture of it's own with nerve connections hidden from plain sight. It's more than an industry it's a way of life. One doesn't know how real this is until immersed deep enough into it.

Btw, anyone know the best BBQ in Houston?

The best BBQ you'll ever have is in a friends backyard. It's more than a meal it's an experience. This is something missing from a lot of the Texas "culture" of today. Commercially? It's a crap shoot.

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    If you will be staying around the downtown area (Minute Maid Park) I recommend visiting the museum district (straight south of downtown) and a visit to Saint Arnold Brewery (~1 mile northwest of the ballpark).

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I don't know you.....sure you are a decent guy.......but Kalifornian's fix your own state and stay there. Quit coming here and importing your crazy.

Just a word of advice......the first thing you want to announce......might not be "I am from Kalifornia"

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I don't know you.....sure you are a decent guy.......but Kalifornian's fix your own state and stay there. Quit coming here and importing your crazy.

In case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of home grown leftists born and raised here.

I'd rather have somebody right thinking who wants to be here.

There is no saving California. It's a complete and total loss barring the Boogaloo kicking off.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2019
    Irvine, CA

Except I've been voting republican and donating to Donald Trump's campaign ever since I've been of legal voting age, going out of my way to redpill fellow Californians, and been ostracized by multiple friends for my support of Trump. I used to wear a MAGA hat every god damn day. I've literally gone above and beyond my civic duty and nothing changes.... What more do you expect me to do?

Top Bottom