Join TexasGunTalk

Information on Houston.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by CalifornianTexaboo, Oct 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Vodak, The Choice of a New Generation TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I'm going to pick on your comment a bit because I hear this a lot.

"Oh man X is so far from X"

I just don't get that local attitude here. For how big Texas and Houston is, locals can't be bothered to drive across the street sometimes. ;)

Maybe my perception is skewed some how but any of the burbs to downtown is just no big deal for me minus the usual traffic.

Heck, we've taken afternoon trips from Richmond to Baytown to see friends and people I've talked to are shocked we didn't make it an overnight trip.

Rhino and Dad_Roman like this.
  2. SQLGeek

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    You touch on a big point here.

I'd rather deal with Houston traffic any day of the week than the SF Bay Area. Sure, Houston traffic can be bad but you have some options to get to different places. I'm pretty sure if I ever drive in the Bay Area again I will have a stroke.

But this is getting off the (light) rails a bit.

My advice is come visit Houston and see for yourself.

jordanmills and Dad_Roman like this.
  3. SQLGeek

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
  4. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I used to spend a little time at a work site in the Galleria with a Mexican-Vietnamese fusion food truck nearby. Man, I miss those tacos! For a variety of good food, I'll put Houston up against any place I've been.
    A big thumbs-up to that. I've run across more than I found tolerable but I think that was because I spent so much time around low-class folks who thought I looked like someone who would join them in their prejudices. That sounds bad until I compare it to my experiences in much of the rest of the continental U.S. where I've encountered racism and intolerance right out in the open and much more pervasively.

Houston is often cited as the most diverse city in the U.S. I don't know about that but I do know that most of the people here have learned to get along with each other. They're too busy making a living to care about skin color.

308nato and Rhino like this.
  5. CalifornianTexaboo

CalifornianTexaboo Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Irvine, CA
    That's the thing, I leave my area (I live within the greater LA metropolitan area) to escape that shit. So when Dallas looks even worse than LA in some parts, it really kills going to back those places.

6. Dad_Roman

Dad_Roman TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Not at all, I should have been clearer.

Your absolutely right. Lived there. Used to driving and know how to get around so I dont mind it.

What I meant (unsaid) was I would prefer to stay in Clear Lake 20ish miles away as opposed to staying at the Hilton or Hyatt in downtown right across the street from the World Series...:green:

ZX9RCAM and SQLGeek like this.
  7. benenglish

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Houston is in a whole 'nother universe compared to those places. Not better or worse, necessarily, but completely different.

8. benenglish

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Personally, I like the downtown hotels. However, I've worked there enough to be comfortable haunting the extensive tunnel system. There's a whole city under the city and during daylight hours it's plenty interesting. I've also spent so much time in those hotels at conferences and meetings that they seem kinda second-homey to me.

I guess this all goes back to my contention that Houston is great but you have to scratch the surface quite a bit to really appreciate it.

9. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    You’ll just have to try them all.

Dad_Roman likes this.
  10. SA_Steve

SA_Steve Active Member

Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I visit Houston every two or three months for the past 6 years. Tried airBNB an few times but have found that hotwire gives me a 3 or 4 star hotel for lots cheaper and without dealing with owner weirdness. Last week, two nights mid-week, west Houston, total drive-out cost $63/night.

CalifornianTexaboo and Dad_Roman like this.