• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2019
    Irvine, CA
    I'm a native Houstonian and have no issue exclaiming "we" . . . when it suits my needs :p

Unless I missed something, I don't think you're there yet :spank:

ETA: If you're speaking simply as an Astros fan, my bad. ;)

I'm an Astros fan. Been since they crushed the Dodgers in 2017. (Always hated the Dodgers since I was a hardcore Angels fan growing up)
    ARJ Defense ad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2019
    Irvine, CA
    Incase anyone's wondering, person I'm meeting up with booked it for me, once confirmation came through I got some time off work, kind of surprised me with it lol.

Also, anyone know anything about Jackson Street BBQ behind Minue Maid Park? Is it good? Thinking about going there earlier in the day before the game so it's not packed. If we cant get tickets we'll probably just bar hop around the area.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Incase anyone's wondering, person I'm meeting up with booked it for me, once confirmation came through I got some time off work, kind of surprised me with it lol.

Also, anyone know anything about Jackson Street BBQ behind Minue Maid Park? Is it good? Thinking about going there earlier in the day before the game so it's not packed. If we cant get tickets we'll probably just bar hop around the area.

Not far, pretty darn good, Texas BBQ and open until 9 tonight:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Min...00292a20c13!2m2!1d-95.394002!2d29.7342473!3e0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2019
    Irvine, CA
    keep your wits about you in the Montrose area after dark

Wsh I was able to bring my .38. Thing is, I cant check my gun because I bought a connecting flight to Orlando, FL to save money. I'm going to a range and renting though. May even rent a Desert Eagle for the lols. As far as walking back at night goes, I'm just gonna keep my head down and powerwalk it and hope for the best lol.

Last edited:

Danielsuzuki

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2019
    Houston, Texas
    Wsh I was able to bring my .38. Thing is, I cant check my gun because I bought a connecting flight to Orlando, FL to save money. I'm going to a range and renting though. May even rent a Desert Eagle for the lols.

I’m mainly talking about scammers and homeless peddlers, they’re mostly all harmless - just watch your wallet.

Pick up a can of Sabre Red when you land - you’re not going into the real bad areas, just don’t go under 59 while you’re on foot near the stadium, stay north of the elevated freeway - the other side starts to get BAD in a hurry.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    just don’t go under 59 while you’re on foot near the stadium
    Decades ago, when she was still alive, back when the Pierce Elevated was still the biggest homeless encampment around, my mom used to make two giant pots of stew, put them in the trunk of the car, and drive there once or twice a week. She'd park under the the elevated and just feed people out the the trunk until she ran out of stew and bread.

That's right where my office was. I knew that area. I had to walk through it to get from my office to my car. When I found out what she'd been doing, I was taken aback. I told her it wasn't a good idea.

She looked at me like I was crazy. It never occurred to her to be afraid of anything.

That said, I agree with your advice but I'd add the phrase "at night" to it. Since the city cleaned up for that international financial summit (I think back then it was the G8.), there have been a lot less people around there. Basically, out-of-towners just need to avoid everything south of Pierce and within a few blocks of the bus stations.

Now, go a little further south and there used to be Vietnamtown. I loved that place.

Is Vietnamtown still there or has everyone moved out to the Asian area next to Beltway 8?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Seems like the Asians have taken the area out that new Westpark corridor.
    I'll have to cruise that sometime soon. Last I knew, the Asian development was mostly around Bellaire at Beltway 8. I looked it up and Google seems to see it that way. If it has extended out Westpark, that would make sense too.

chinatown.jpg

Attachments

• chinatown.jpg
      chinatown.jpg
      82.1 KB · Views: 274

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Decades ago, when she was still alive, back when the Pierce Elevated was still the biggest homeless encampment around, my mom used to make two giant pots of stew, put them in the trunk of the car, and drive there once or twice a week. She'd park under the the elevated and just feed people out the the trunk until she ran out of stew and bread.

That's right where my office was. I knew that area. I had to walk through it to get from my office to my car. When I found out what she'd been doing, I was taken aback. I told her it wasn't a good idea.

She looked at me like I was crazy. It never occurred to her to be afraid of anything.

That said, I agree with your advice but I'd add the phrase "at night" to it. Since the city cleaned up for that international financial summit (I think back then it was the G8.), there have been a lot less people around there. Basically, out-of-towners just need to avoid everything south of Pierce and within a few blocks of the bus stations.

Now, go a little further south and there used to be Vietnamtown. I loved that place.

Is Vietnamtown still there or has everyone moved out to the Asian area next to Beltway 8?

My recoding studio was on the corner of Montrose and Welch, right behind Texas Art Supply, for 22 years (same building as Anderson Fair Retail Restaurant).

For at least ten years there was a homeless guy who lived on the esplanade on Montrose.

Bought him a double meat cheese burger, or a chicken pita sandwich from Niko Niko’s, almost every day.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Daaaang, you got to go to Niko's everyday!

Hell, remember when Niko Nikos was only a hut with a walk up window. To go, or eat outside only.

The musician’s recording at the time ordered lunch or supper every day.

We always made sure we got something for “Homeless Harry” from Niko Nikos, or La Jalicience (sp?), the two most popular places.

HH ate better than most of the musician’s who populated Montrose in those days.

Top Bottom