• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I'm here in San Antonio between stoneoak and bulverde. If you want to hit the range sometime send me a PM and I will give you my cell#. I have a membership at cedar ridge. I can get you in half price.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I'm here in San Antonio between stoneoak and bulverde. If you want to hit the range sometime send me a PM and I will give you my cell#. I have a membership at cedar ridge. I can get you in half price.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’m just down the road from Cedar Ridge. Wish I had more free time and ammo to shoot. I got my last 1k of small rifle primers from them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I'm going to put a controversial suggestion here....for your first home-defense setup, I would build it around the .22lr. Start with a Ruger 10-22 or two. Get two or three 25-rd. magazines for each. Get some quality .22lr ammo like CCI Velocitors or Mini-Mags and make sure the 10-22s run well with them. Not only are 25 rounds of Velocitors effective on two-legged varmints, the 10-22 is an easy platform to practice with using bulk ammo. If you want to add a few pistols to the mix, I recommend revolvers like the Ruger LCR/LCRx or Taurus 942. Use the same ammo as you're using in the 10-22.

Shooting a perp with a .22lr is like stabbing a perp with a foot-long icepick. Few perps fare well after being stabbed with a foot-long icepick 8-25 times.....

allanbranson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Dimmit County
    My wife and I ended up going through similar thoughts, we have a passel of kids and just moved to the middle of nowhere so we decided to get serious about home defense. We upgraded the lighting, have video doorbells, and I’m looking at beefing up these super old solid doors. My wife has a canik tp9 and a ruger pcc in a safe in the bathroom in the kids’ hallway, and my ar and glock are all handy to me in our bedroom. I always carry my g19 so it is always good to go, but my ar has a magazine in and nothing chambered. I’m thinking my next purchase will be an ar pistol in 300 BO for the truck gun/hd gun. I live and work on a ranch, so a little more oomph for hogs would be helpful, plus the suppress-ability would be great around the cattle. I sure am glad I found this forum, seems like loads of good folks.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Try Nagels Gun Shop in San Antonio. Decent prices and very helpful staff.:usflag:

I can tell you from experience you'd better know what you're doing buying from Nagel's. I've seen them rip people off on many occasions from selling guns they knew were defective to claiming a $90 Mosin Nagant was a $600 Mauser to charging to send guns back to S&W for warranty work. (S&W covers shipping for that.)

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    In my opinion, the easiest way to deal with not knowing "some of the basics" is to start over from scratch and see what you missed. I have been a gun owner for over a decade and I still periodically buy and read 'Introduction' books simply to get new perspectives and opinions on the same subjects.

If you'll entertain suggestions from a relative nobody around this particular forum, I recommend the following texts:

0.) "Guns 101: A Beginner's Guide to Buying and Owning Firearms" by David Steier
    1-A.) Essential Guide to Handguns: Firearm Instruction for Personal Defense and Protection" by Stephen R. Rementer
    1-B.) "The cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry" by Kathy Jackson
    2.) "The Texas Concealed Carry Manual" by Chris Bird
    3.) "The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry" by Mossad Ayoob
    4-A.) "Thank God I had a Gun" by Chris Bird
    4-B.) "Combat Shooting" by Mossad Ayoob

You may or may not find recommendation 0 to be unnecessary, because it's literally starting from zero. I'd still advise reviewing it because although the introductory chapters are literally "This a gun, this is a bullet, this end is where the bullet comes out from", it has some good beginner info consider anyway.

Although a number of these books are geared toward concealed carry rather than home defense, both Mossad Ayoob and Chris Bird were former police officers with extensive backgrounds in law enforcement, and it translates into some very good tips on safety (safety, safety, safety!), what mindset you should be in when preparing for an armed confrontation, some legal considerations and dangers you'll face once you pull the trigger regardless of whether you are later found to be in the right or not, and a number other things not strictly related to shooting. A thorough grasp of these fundamentals might well result in the two of you finding out a lot of what you're gonna be taught in the gun handling class is stuff you'll have already read about.

In my opinion, you're likely better off starting with a simple shotgun for self defense, and then working your way over to a pistol should it be necessary. As the others have said, and as will be said in several of these books, pistols are much harder to shoot accurately even in ideal conditions than long arms are, let alone when you're scared witless and potentially in the dark.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom