• ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Howdy TGT,

Today I worked on some load development for my CVA Optima V2. Little info, I bought this rifle new two Decembers ago. When I first shot it, I was using pellets which gave me inconsistent accuracy results. From there I have moved on to Blackhorn 209.

I am reading in the manual that if powder charges (by volume) are going to be in the 90 - 120 range, heavier bullets will provide better accuracy. I was using the blackhorn 209 data off their website which provides data for 80 / 100 / 120 volume powder charges. I was wondering if this was anyone else's experience?

I had loads with the Hornady XTP 240gr and 250gr SST for 80 100 and 120 and I couldn't really produce anything close to 1 MOA. The rifle has an awesome trigger and I know how to shoot so I am wondering if I should just try out some heavier grain bullets (290 gr+) with BH209. I really like Hornadys stuff but I can never find the 300gr SSTs in stock anywhere.

Here are the results (SST 100 isn't listed but it was around 2". Negating possible flyers, there were very good groups but I really didn't feel like any of those could be flyers. I felt good about every shot I took today. Weather was good, no wind or anything. Am I missing something? Should I clean after every shot? Seems like every user of BH209 is stating they don't have to do this. I didn't notice any resistance while loading subsequent shots.

mzl results.PNG
    Military Camp

Leadeye

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 29, 2020
    Great Southern Forest of Indiana
    I've used a cast lead Lee 310 grain bullet with plastic sabots and gotten good accuracy from it. This was with a Knight Mk85 and 100g 2F BP though and a #11 cap.

Like you I had mixed results with the BP pellets.

Reactions: MTA

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Try Triple 7, Pyrodex and actual BP if you can get them.
    The rifle I had did fine with PB and Pyrodex, not so much with Triple 7. Never tried Blackhorn. Mine did not do well with sabot rounds but did with the solid lead or shirted jacketed rounds.
    Just like any other gun, try different combinations.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Try Triple 7, Pyrodex and actual BP if you can get them.
    The rifle I had did fine with PB and Pyrodex, not so much with Triple 7. Never tried Blackhorn. Mine did not do well with sabot rounds but did with the solid lead or shirted jacketed rounds.
    Just like any other gun, try different combinations.

Ive been trying to make sabot rounds work. Im going to try out the xtps with some other grain weights and also try out some nonsabot powerbelts I have.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I had the best luck with Powerbelts and PB.
    That is what I use in my .45cal in-line pistol as well.

Top Bottom