• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    If anyone has owned, or shot the Rossi Lever Action please let me know your thoughts on the rifle...

With all due respect, if you haven't owned or shot one, keep your comments to yourself..

I am looking at the 44 mag model R92...

Thanks
    R

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    don't have one in 44mag but have 8 between my father a i and have no issues have done some action work on some and removed the stupid safeties from the bolts they are great guns for the money if you want more pm me .

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    don't have one in 44mag but have 8 between my father a i and have no issues have done some action work on some and removed the stupid safeties from the bolts they are great guns for the money if you want more pm me .

Cool, thanks for the info... I have a couple of there revolvers, just had no knowledge about there lever actions...looks like a solid piece.. What is your favorite caliber for say a do all deer, pig etc....? I am leaning towards the 44 as I also want a 44 mag handgun, just figure it would be a good one...

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I really dig mine. I got the 16in 44mag. Compact and light! When I ordered it, I assumed it problably wouldnt be as nice as the Marlin offerings, but I was pleasantly surprised. The action is nice and smooth and the wood is pretty nice on it as well. That metal but plate tends to make the shoulder sore after a few rounds, tho

4378051842_8e8bba51b9_b.jpg

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I do not own one, but a friend has one. He hopes to hunt hogs with it. I know he has shot his many times with no problems. It seems to be a very close clone of the Winchester Model 94, without the huge gun show price tags. I have a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 caliber. Mine will thump you pretty good when you shoot it. I bet the .44 is a real man's toy!!

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I really dig mine. I got the 16in 44mag. Compact and light! When I ordered it, I assumed it problably wouldnt be as nice as the Marlin offerings, but I was pleasantly surprised. The action is nice and smooth and the wood is pretty nice on it as well. That metal but plate tends to make the shoulder sore after a few rounds, tho

4378051842_8e8bba51b9_b.jpg

Very Nice! where'd you get the leather? What kind of loads? how accurate? The shop is out of the 16 right now, but have the 20.. I may hold out for a 16 as I like the idea of compact to carry in the truck..

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I got the leather scabbard from Sportsman's Guide. It needed some breaking in but it works well. I usually use a nylon shotgun scabbard I have for it, however. I've never shot it for groups, but offhand I can hit my 6in plates at about 50yards with good regularity. I know that doesn't really tell you much about accuracy, but I'd classify it as "good enough".

I'd hold out for the 16". It's really amazing how compact the thing is.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I've got one, 16" also, truthfully I've had it for years and probably only shot it less than 100 rounds. No problems with it so far. Like the previous poster, I have not shot mine for groups either, but I know it will also hold em in about a 6-8" circle offhand at 50.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Cool, thanks guys...I'd say for deer, or Hog that is accurate enough... I have been wanting another lever action since I sold my 30-30 years ago for rent money LOL... I was looking at 45 levers, but think I've decided on the 44... I can get the 20" SS version for $424 plus $10 FFL Transfer...or the blued 16" for $396 plus $10... I really like the SS, but they are sold out of the 16"... May just wait til they get it back in stock... Any place else I should look? ie for better prices?

Thanks again.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yep, it's the stainless one. I had it as my background for quite awhile too, lol... If you need a higher resolution shot than that let me know.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I thought it was..I almost caved and got the blued... but I may just get the 20" in SS... Gonna check walmart and see what they can order it for...

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have an M92(?) in 45LC. It has the 24" barrel and holds 14 ! I am lucky enough to have got mine off an Old guy with too many guns. He sold it to me for $300. I think he let it go for so cheap because it shot about 7 inches right at 50yds. However a few taps of the rear sight and the POI matched POA perfectly. It tops my list for best "gun-for-dollars-spent". I admit that when I got it, I had my doubts about Rossi. Now, over five years later, I love it to Death. It is also a pre-safety gun which makes it even more bad-ass! The newer Puma models are just as solid as the older ones from what I hear. The lockup on mine is tight and the action smoother than my winchester 94. It's no tack driver but even with cheap lead reloads it puts em'(usually 10 shots) all in a 3-6" area at 50yds. Personally, I can appreciate the fast handling of a 16" levergun(that's what my winchester is) but you will enjoy the increased MV the longer barrel produces as well as the greater accuracy due to sight radius. I would go for the 20" but I don't think you will be disappointed regardless of barrel length. A fine investment in any caliber or barrel length.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Well, I ended up buying a 15 year old Marlin .444 today at the show in Austin.. Nobody had the Rossi, let alone in Stainless..

It was extremely clean, and well taken care of. I still may order the Rossi SS in .44 mag... but for now this one should make for some fun shooting...

Top Bottom