Join TexasGunTalk

Inside an Army First Aid Kit.

Discussion in 'Knives, Tactical Gear, and Survival' started by grasshopperglock, Nov 2, 2018.

1. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce Well-Known

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Tampons can be a good addition to any first aid kit.

Not kidding, either.

Keep Calm and RTFU

2. Byrd666

Byrd666 TGT Addict

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I've heard and read about good and bad on using tampons. Almost a 50/50 mix

3. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Well-Known

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth
    I prefer maxipads because they stick (they have an adhesive) and they do a good job absorbing stuff.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  4. BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Outside San Antonio
    From everything I've read, the main issue with using female products like tampons and pads is that they are not sterile. They are clean, and if in an urban environment with help close by, they work in a pinch. But they are inferior to real-deal pressure type, sterile medical trauma dressings.

If you choose to add some to your kit, suggest you buy a new package from a reputable manufacturer and place the tampons/pads in ziplock bags, maybe 1-3 per snack size bag. Just how I'd do it, and again, I'm an amateur...YMMV

BRD@66 likes this.
  5. candcallen

candcallen Active Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Um, the sticky part is on the back of the moisture barrier. The part that absorbs fluid is on the other side. Placing the sticky side down on a wound will not provide the desired effect. Unless your inverting the "wings" on products with that feature.

As long as they are in their packaging they will be clean enough for emergencies. What ever caused the Trauma has already opened the skin and introduced enough nasty shit to kill you. You are in ABC mode. Blood loss can kill in a couple minutes. Infection can be dealt with after stabilizing the victim. Obviously dont go slathering mud in wounds but an unused tampon in a large puncture or pad on other bleeding isnt an issue from an emergency standpoint. Also remember pressure and TQs if needed.

They are one thing I haven't rotated in years. With a wife and 3 daughters every nook cranny bag pouch glove box drawer and any other space large enough are stuffed full of the things.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  6. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Sticky side to the bandage wrap holding the pad in place.

7. candcallen

candcallen Active Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Yep. If you think you have time. Just pointing out the movies always show it wrong and most guys avoid that stuff like the walking dead.

I always taught to ignore the fiddly sticky strips. Not easy to do with wet or bloody hands.