Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Take six squirrel.

Toss 'em over the hill.

Put a brisket in the smoker.

My work here is done.

msharley,

OBVIOUSLY, you have NO friends who know how to make GREAT squirrel dishes AND/OR it's you that cannot cook well.

MY grandfather was a renowned "game cook" & his squirrel stew was FAMOUS in several NETX counties for >6 decades.
    (YES, I have his recipes.)

yours, satx
    Texas SOT

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey SA,

My Mother, God rest her, LOVED them tree rats....

I would limit out on them (always caped them, then gutted .......much easier to cape 'em warm)...She would make them six ways from Sunday. Every one else thought they were wonderful...

I never developed a taste for them.....(right ahead/behind liver....yeeech)

Am fixin' to have a PLAGUE on 'em here....(12ga in the "death leap" betwixt the oaks).... I'll fill the freezer. Set up the grill.

How many ya want? When ya comin'?

Me? Ribs (beef or pork)/brisket/chickens/brats........ Corn. Taters...LOL

Later, Mark

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TO All,

IF any of our members wants my grandfather's squirrel stew recipe, I'll share it.
    (NOT a secret, as it's been published, courtesy of my late Mother, in several church cookbooks.)

ADDENDA: In 2008, I cooked (with 4 childhood friends to help) enough of my grandfather's stew to feed our local DUCKS UNLIMITED BANQUET. = About 40 GALLONS.
    (I got squirrels for the stew from about 20-30 friends & borrowed the BIG stewpots from our local ARNG armory. - Mother & my Aunt Gladys baked enough cornbread muffins to feed everyone 3 muffins each. - That task took them all day.)

I was rather amused when my late wife remarked on how many people (including women) "went back" for third bowls of stew & more cornbread muffins. = I told her that "3 Lakes Chapter members are 'country folks' & they are fond of home cooking BUT "fancy food" not so much."

yours, satx

Last edited:

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    TO All,

IF any of our members wants my grandfather's squirrel stew recipe, I'll share it.
    (NOT a secret, as it's been published, courtesy of my late Mother, in several church cookbooks.)

yours, satx
    Hey SA,

Your Generosity is appreciated.

For game critters.....Pheasant Phirst! Beer Batter Bunny. Back Straps. Deep Fry Turkey..

Fosh? Trout. Take cast iron skillet to stream...Fry w/butter on Coleman Stove. OH YUM!

Later, Mark

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Hey SA,

Your Generosity is appreciated.

For game critters.....Pheasant Phirst! Beer Batter Bunny. Back Straps. Deep Fry Turkey..

Fosh? Trout. Take cast iron skillet to stream...Fry w/butter on Coleman Stove. OH YUM!

Later, Mark
    Funny how peeps from somewhere else enjoy other dishes! I really couldn’t put game in any kind of pecking order.

Bird wise Sand Hill Crane & quail would rate higher for me. Your not going to see me turn down ducks or doves either! Last pheasant I had were smoked and used to make quesadillas.

Rabbits always been grilled. Squirrel always smothered in gravy. Venison blackstrap are great, but there are lots of different cuts to be utilized as many ways! I’ve had various game in Africa and they all were stand out meals. Show of hands who else has had rhinoceros chili with no beans!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Funny how peeps from somewhere else enjoy other dishes! I really couldn’t put game in any kind of pecking order.

Bird wise Sand Hill Crane & quail would rate higher for me. Your not going to see me turn down ducks or doves either! Last pheasant I had were smoked and used to make quesadillas.

Rabbits always been grilled. Squirrel always smothered in gravy. Venison blackstrap are great, but there are lots of different cuts to be utilized as many ways! I’ve had various game in Africa and they all were stand out meals. Show of hands who else has had rhinoceros chili with no beans!

msharley; baboon; All,

Fwiw, MY FAVORITE game dish is "early Spring bunny" fried like chicken with biscuits/cream gravy.
    (The last time that I spent a week at our family farm, I shot 22 Spring bunnies with my .22 pistol & had my first cousin, his 19YO stepson & Tom's Kilgore College friends over twice for a supper of fried bunny/white gravy/homemade biscuits. = Everybody ate WELL & had a GOOD TIME.)

yours, satx

Top Bottom