• SIG_Fiend

Administrator
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm not yet doing a full review, but just thought I'd get a few initial thoughts up. The kit comes with 3 springs and a new, slightly longer firing pin (to ensure reliable ignition). Install was easy and only took ~5 minutes. Toughest part was getting the sideplate off of the relatively new 642 that I rarely use. ;)

I need to get a trigger scale but, typically J frame DA pulls tend to be in the ~12-15# range. Mine felt every bit of 12#, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit heavier. Apex Tactical quotes their J frame spring kit at ~8-9#. I wasn't sure what to think about that, as I'm of the opinion that over ~7# is overkill, defensive gun or not. 9-12#+ just seems ridiculous. However, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I would estimate that the pull was definitely reduced to 8-9#, probably closer to 9# and feels smoother. I was instantly reminded of the Ruger LCR trigger, as it is a smooth and considerably lighter pull. Overall, for the ~$30 of the spring kit, I highly recommend it! The gun is a lot more bearable now.

Next step is sights, which will suck for the wallet, but it's the right thing to do. Basically large sights milled/dovetailed into the frame and barrel, which is pretty much a $200-250 job. Most people probably think it's crazy. I think stock J frame sights are crazy stupid, and I eventually need to correct the problem. ;) Here's an example from D&L Sports:

pic_2007_12_02_jframe_185_large.jpg

pic_2008_01_06_jframe_007_med.jpg

pic_2007_12_02_jframe_177_small.jpg

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Just so there's no confusion, those aren't pics of my 642, they're from D&L Sports, and I just used those as an example of the sights I plan on getting at some point.

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'll try to get pics of mine soon, with a more detailed write up, and I'm going to try and see about either getting a digital trigger weight scale or finding someone local that can let me borrow theirs to check it before/after, and I might also do a video of the disassembly/install, but that might be a bit tricky with my DSLR.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Hurry and get that video done so I can follow it to install my Apex kit (which I got a year ago and is still in the unopened envelope). LOL

As for the 642's sights, yes they suck, but for a reason...I like the low drag/no snag for pocket carry, and figure that when that pistol comes out, it's gonna be point/shoot/run, and better sights would make a negligible difference. I think a very low-pro tritium dot on the front would be as far as I would take it (and has my brain churning already).

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hurry and get that video done so I can follow it to install my Apex kit (which I got a year ago and is still in the unopened envelope). LOL

As for the 642's sights, yes they suck, but for a reason...I like the low drag/no snag for pocket carry, and figure that when that pistol comes out, it's gonna be point/shoot/run, and better sights would make a negligible difference. I think a very low-pro tritium dot on the front would be as far as I would take it (and has my brain churning already).

I had my spring kit for nearly a year as well. Funny how those sorts of things just pile up, disappear, and collect dust. ;)

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Weapon displays
    Ammo
    Defender Tactical
    Ammo