Installed the Apex Tactical spring kit in my S&W 642 tonight

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
I'm not yet doing a full review, but just thought I'd get a few initial thoughts up. The kit comes with 3 springs and a new, slightly longer firing pin (to ensure reliable ignition). Install was easy and only took ~5 minutes. Toughest part was getting the sideplate off of the relatively new 642 that I rarely use. ;)

I need to get a trigger scale but, typically J frame DA pulls tend to be in the ~12-15# range. Mine felt every bit of 12#, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit heavier. Apex Tactical quotes their J frame spring kit at ~8-9#. I wasn't sure what to think about that, as I'm of the opinion that over ~7# is overkill, defensive gun or not. 9-12#+ just seems ridiculous. However, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I would estimate that the pull was definitely reduced to 8-9#, probably closer to 9# and feels smoother. I was instantly reminded of the Ruger LCR trigger, as it is a smooth and considerably lighter pull. Overall, for the ~$30 of the spring kit, I highly recommend it! The gun is a lot more bearable now.

Next step is sights, which will suck for the wallet, but it's the right thing to do. Basically large sights milled/dovetailed into the frame and barrel, which is pretty much a $200-250 job. Most people probably think it's crazy. I think stock J frame sights are crazy stupid, and I eventually need to correct the problem. ;) Here's an example from D&L Sports:

pic_2007_12_02_jframe_185_large.jpg

pic_2008_01_06_jframe_007_med.jpg

pic_2007_12_02_jframe_177_small.jpg

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
Just so there's no confusion, those aren't pics of my 642, they're from D&L Sports, and I just used those as an example of the sights I plan on getting at some point.

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
I'll try to get pics of mine soon, with a more detailed write up, and I'm going to try and see about either getting a digital trigger weight scale or finding someone local that can let me borrow theirs to check it before/after, and I might also do a video of the disassembly/install, but that might be a bit tricky with my DSLR.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Houston
Hurry and get that video done so I can follow it to install my Apex kit (which I got a year ago and is still in the unopened envelope). LOL

As for the 642's sights, yes they suck, but for a reason...I like the low drag/no snag for pocket carry, and figure that when that pistol comes out, it's gonna be point/shoot/run, and better sights would make a negligible difference. I think a very low-pro tritium dot on the front would be as far as I would take it (and has my brain churning already).

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
Hurry and get that video done so I can follow it to install my Apex kit (which I got a year ago and is still in the unopened envelope). LOL

As for the 642's sights, yes they suck, but for a reason...I like the low drag/no snag for pocket carry, and figure that when that pistol comes out, it's gonna be point/shoot/run, and better sights would make a negligible difference. I think a very low-pro tritium dot on the front would be as far as I would take it (and has my brain churning already).
I had my spring kit for nearly a year as well. Funny how those sorts of things just pile up, disappear, and collect dust. ;)

Primary

TexasGunTalk Assistant
Here are some related products that TexasGunTalk members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TexasGunTalk’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TexasGunTalk discussions about these products.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads