installing a cb in my truck

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by country_boy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Bought a cobra model 29, hoping to install it in my truck. Ive seen antennas but, need some opinions on what all I need to buy to have this cb installed and working in my truck.

Much obliged.

2. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    where is there a cb shop in Round Rock?

3. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    There was one out in Jarrell but I don't know if it is still there or not.

4. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Get a good power mike....:happy0001:

5. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

You could probably go to Radio Shack and get the meter and tune it
    your self. I used to have one but I got out of the CB craze years ago
    and sold off everything .

6. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
  7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That will do antenna wise. As far as the tuner if you don't know what you're doing the best thing would be to take it to a pro. If you do know what you're doing, have fun. :rofl:

8. epvenn87

epvenn87 New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Bryan, Texas
    Good choice on radios, i love mine.

9. hink

hink Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Amarillo
    Peaked and tuned on the radio is different than tuning the antenna system to the vehicle. The SWR meter is temporarily installed inline between the radio and the antenna, then the antenna length is physically adjusted to closely match the electrical length of the RF signal being transmitted. I prefer the antenna style that has a brass screw at the end of the antenna, that way I can fine tune the physical length without cutting any wire that can't be put back.

CB radios also transmit and receive using AM signals. Factory radios transmit using a low wattage signal, then 'swing' up to but not exceeding 4 watts -- the max allowed by FCC rules for unlicensed radio operators. A peaked radio will have the ability to deadkey 4 watts, then 'swing' more than 4 watts, which is what gives the radio the ability to talk out the 15-20 miles. Tuning the antenna will increase the ability of the radio to transmit that signal, as well as the ability of the antenna system to effectively transmit that RF signal to the receiver inside the CB radio.

The different channels on a CB radio correspond to different frequencies in the RF spectrum. An SWR meter will generally be used to tune the antenna system on channel 19 to an SWR as low as 1.2, which will keep the SWR on chanel 1 and 40 to around 1.7, and the channels between somewhere inbetween. Keeping the SWR below 2 will keep your transmitter happy, and increase your reception range, keeping your operator happy.

If you have the room, I'd highly suggest a co-phase setup -- two separate antennas using a Y-cable off the back of the radio. It will also add to your transmission and reception range, being that CBs are held to small power transmission every little bit helps.

10. shooterfpga

shooterfpga TGT Addict

Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    cophase is cool, if you have a semi truck, otherwise you will just look like someone that doesnt know what youre doing. whatever antenna you get, make sure its atleast 3/4 of it is above the cab. if not, you will enjoy talking to either yourself a lot, or those behind you. i swing about 350w max.