• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    And I thought taking 2 days to teach me how to teach a class that lasts 4 hours was kind of ironic. I think we spent a couple hours just going over how to score a target. I think the most valuable thing in the class was actually the feedback from LE guys taking the class. About 1/3 of our class I think was some kind of LE. It was interesting to hear their perspective about traffic stops of people with CHLs and how they handle them. Granted, if they're taking a class to qualify people to carry, then I'm guessing the data is skewed in favor of citizens carrying.

Plenty of cops, I'm sure, don't like the idea of anyone but them having a gun. Naturally, the LE/LTC instructor is probably going to be more relaxed when you flash two IDs.

The one time I was stopped (expired inspection sticker), the cop had me get out and put my hands on the truck and disarm me when I presented the CHL. In fact, I think he forgot why he pulled me over at that point. Ran the SN on the gun. But, just gave me a verbal warning at the end of it. A little excessive in my opinion. Apparently (per the discussion in the instructor class) many/most cops will maybe just say something like "okay, well, just keep your hand on the wheel" or even just "okay, thanks" and maybe even have the perspective "at least this guy is taking personal responsibility for his safety" or "maybe one day this guy will save me if I get ambushed". I'd like to think that, anyway. Haven't been stopped since my license says "instructor". Not sure if that'd make any difference one way or another.

How long ago was that?
    ARJ Defense ad

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    Question for Instructors. I had heard ( read somewhere ) that when DPS calls and says you are scheduled for a class that you are not given much notice. How did you guys who work a full time job and instruct on the side manage taking a week off on short notice?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Question for Instructors. I had heard ( read somewhere ) that when DPS calls and says you are scheduled for a class that you are not given much notice. How did you guys who work a full time job and instruct on the side manage taking a week off on short notice?
    I was working offshore overseas. I got lucky that my class was on my scheduled time off.

As far as the School Safety Instructor classes, I have missed a bunch of those due to working out of state/country. They generally give you a two day notice to reply that you will attend an upcoming class( usually 2-3 weeks out)

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    How long ago was that?
    I got my instructor license 4 years ago, so if you mean how long ago was the class, that's the answer.

If you mean the story about getting stopped, that was 5 years ago. I forget the agency. The cop was impeccably polite and professional. But I thought it was just overboard having me get out and disarming me. I had done work on that Glock and I was just thinking "3lb trigger. Please don't put your finger on the trigger when you unholster it." Maybe he was just a new guy trying to do everything by the book. It was on Spring Cypress or Louetta coming back from Texas Direct Auto on I45 North. Took an old truck in for a bid and didn't realize the inspection was out. Slow rolled up behind the cop at a red light (used to hauling 26,000# so it's normal driving for me to coast up to red lights). Maybe he thought that was suspicious and then saw the sticker as a reason to pull me over.

I sent an email to Tomball PD and another agency. Tomball Chief called me and asked if it was his guy. I said no, but since I live in/around Tomball I thought I'd express my idea that I'd hope they have a culture of CHL holders are good people. He said that is what they preach there. The CHL isn't a license to break the law, but if there is discretion, they tend to go in favor of the licensee. And that was the sentiment of the other LE instructors in my initial class.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I got my instructor license 4 years ago, so if you mean how long ago was the class, that's the answer.

If you mean the story about getting stopped, that was 5 years ago.

Thanks, I was referring to the traffic stop. In 1996, 23 years ago, being disarmed was not all that uncommon as prior to that carrying a handgun was generally unlawful. It took LEOs a while to acclimate. But now, I would guess that most officer got on their department after the law went into effect.

I find it troublesome that today a LTC holder would be disarmed only because of being armed.

Top Bottom