• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    My wife and I are buying our first house and insurance to go with it. Here's my question:

Where does one get a firearm appraised?

I would assume an FFL but I thought I'd ask to make sure. I'm in San Antonio if that makes a difference.
    Lynx Defense

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    If you bought them through a dealer, take pictures of each gun with its receipt and email it to yourself. Then, make an "insurance" folder in your email.

Do this with all your valuables. Then, if your house is ever destroyed, you can access those pictures from any computer with internet access.

An insurance rep taught me that.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Any good gunsmith will do appraisals for ya. But with my insurance when I had guns stolen did research and came back saying that they valued the guns higher than the appraisal and paid me what they found them to be valued at.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Check your policy VERY carefully. Most insurance has a "cap" on gun claims (similar to jewelry), and anything beyond that "cap" has to be scheduled separately. The ONE exception to that is Germania - they consider it a "household good", and is covered the same as a TV, etc. We went with them several years ago, canceling our USAA policy. Funny thing is, their coverage was LESS expensive than USAA, with better coverage! Several friends have reported similar results.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Check your policy VERY carefully. Most insurance has a "cap" on gun claims (similar to jewelry), and anything beyond that "cap" has to be scheduled separately. The ONE exception to that is Germania - they consider it a "household good", and is covered the same as a TV, etc. We went with them several years ago, canceling our USAA policy. Funny thing is, their coverage was LESS expensive than USAA, with better coverage! Several friends have reported similar results.
    We found that USAA isnt as cheap as most seem to proclaim. They were charging us 170 a month for three vehicles, two of which are garage kept and I drive a company truck for work so two of our three vehicles rarely get driven. I was pissed when I found out. Their homeowners quote was 40% higher than our current policy and really gave us nothing better.
    It's $2500 per gun so that's good for most of mine, except for my .308
    Is there not a cap on the total? Our homeowners is through QBE and while its cheap for all the normal stuff I had to add a rider to cover my guns. When checking on quotes you need to be careful to make sure theyre apples to apples coverage wise. Temporary housing can eat you alive should you lose your home. Also check for discounts for living within X miles of a fire station, monitored alarm, more than 2/3s brick facia etc. Theres a lot of things that can knock down your cost.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I'm through USAA and happy (have compared, including service level for claims, but don't want to start that debate here) and did purchase a separate policy for additional firearm coverage. I actually need to go back and amend that now, too, since the collection has grown. I consider it a small price to pay, comparatively. Definitely check your actual policy language, though, for firearms, jewelry, etc. Also check on actual value vs. replacement value.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Sounds like I need to check out Germania. The rest of the contents in our house is pretty cheap. We dont have any expensive furniture and an 8 year old flat screen tv. Sounds like Germania might be cheaper when I factor in the rider.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    My Texas Farm Bureau renters insurance allegedly covers me on firearms up to $75k. I still need to read the policy for peace of mind. But for $400 and change a year, seemed stupid not to have it.

Top Bottom