• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    We have an old (rear) projection TV you can have. 72" 1080p, IIRC. But you'd have to come get it. :)
    However, I don't think that would be a step up these days.
    As far a projecting onto a wall in a room with plenty of daylight, that would not be recommended.
    Good high-resolution bright projectors could cost you more than a good big-screen TV. You say you have room for 100" diagonal easy. Is 96" the biggest flat screen so far or do they make bigger ones nowadays?
    IMHO, you'd get a much better picture out of a flat screen TV than a projector image on the wall. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about bulbs burning out frequently, people walking through the beam, watching dust swirl etc.
    ARJ Defense ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    We have an old (rear) projection TV you can have. 72" 1080p, IIRC. But you'd have to come get it. :)
    However, I don't think that would be a step up these days.
    As far a projecting onto a wall in a room with plenty of daylight, that would not be recommended.
    Good high-resolution bright projectors could cost you more than a good big-screen TV. You say you have room for 100" diagonal easy. Is 96" the biggest flat screen so far or do they make bigger ones nowadays?
    IMHO, you'd get a much better picture out of a flat screen TV than a projector image on the wall. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about bulbs burning out frequently, people walking through the beam, watching dust swirl etc.
    I think if you were to read the thread in it's entirety my reasons are very well explained as to why even giving consideration for a projection style TV. Never said that I was totally opposed to getting another flat screen, but 85" to 100" flat screens are in the $2000 to $5000 range in price. So I could actually buy a much higher resolution projector way much cheaper.

As I said several times before, I'm weighing options and haven't committed to anything yet.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    With a projector and a reasonable budget, ambient room light really is your biggest consideration. My projection setup in the media room is a pretty basic 3 LCD 1080p Epson projector, 4200 lumens, projecting on a 156" diagonal "screen painted" (basically fancy white paint) wall. It's great, but room lighting changes the contrast pretty dramatically. Whenever we're watching it, we turn off the recessed lights completely and leave the wall sconces on at like 25% brightness. We have blackout curtains on the windows too, otherwise sunlight makes it look pretty dull.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I went through the whole projector thing several years ago. Had a 92" picture projected to a screen that retracted into the ceiling when we weren't using it. As has been mentioned numerous times, ambient light is your biggest issue. Once the price of LCD and LED TV's started dropping, there's not any big reasons for projectors unless you're crossing the 100" mark. If your shooting for 84" or less, you can get a 4k LED TV for less than a 1080P projector, without the bulb life issues and high power draw. Add in your audio system, screen, computer/video source, and I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze any more. Of course I'm about 15 years or so behind on projector technology. Back when I was into projectors, the big argument was whether HD-DVD or Bluray was the best. I used to get most of my info and do most of my homework on this forum: https://www.avsforum.com/

YMMV.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I went through the whole projector thing several years ago. Had a 92" picture projected to a screen that retracted into the ceiling when we weren't using it. As has been mentioned numerous times, ambient light is your biggest issue. Once the price of LCD and LED TV's started dropping, there's not any big reasons for projectors unless you're crossing the 100" mark. If your shooting for 84" or less, you can get a 4k LED TV for less than a 1080P projector, without the bulb life issues and high power draw. Add in your audio system, screen, computer/video source, and I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze any more. Of course I'm about 15 years or so behind on projector technology. Back when I was into projectors, the big argument was whether HD-DVD or Bluray was the best. I used to get most of my info and do most of my homework on this forum: https://www.avsforum.com/

YMMV.
    One of the features I'm seeing is that many newer projectors are much smaller than the older ones. So the smaller size would give it much easier portability so that if I did go with a projector TV system, I could also use it outdoors if I wanted to.

I have always had love for the drive-ins from my youth, so having an outdoor theater, would almost be like going to the drive-in. Imagine being able to sit in the back yard in lawn chairs, watching a movie on about a 160" or bigger screen!

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    We got a Hisense 70" smart TV for $400, very happy with it. It was on sale at Best Buy in the spring, didn't need a new one but for the price I talked my wife into getting it.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    That's the best forum for this sort of thing. By far, IMO.

Agreed.

I used to calibrate my own TVs but those forums have eliminated the need.

If you just search by mode number, chances are a pro has already calibrated it, and posted the settings.

So you just need to copy those settings to your tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

davidindallas

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    I'm not totally opposed to going with another flat screen. The wall is large enough of an area that it could support a 75" to 80" flat screen very easily.

Just doing some rough measuring, I could very easily go 100" to 120" on that wall if I decided on going with a projection TV.

At this point I'm weighing option on size of picture vs. cost of equipment. That is why the consideration of a projection TV. And that I could also possibly use it outdoors.
    Its not just the size its the resolution and contrast.
    A big screen in a well lit room will eventually drive you nuts.
    The giant screen TVs are cheap these days.
    I paid 4000 for a 65" panasonic plasma 6 years ago. Still the best big screen IMO but the BIG LCDs / LEDs etc are a quarter the price now.
    I have a 120" screen in a dedicated totally dark theater room. Would never dream of it in the living room.

davidindallas

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    Agreed.

I used to calibrate my own TVs but those forums have eliminated the need.

If you just search by mode number, chances are a pro has already calibrated it, and posted the settings.

So you just need to copy those settings to your tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The best TVs should have a calibration mode built in.
    My 6+ year old Panasonic has one and its perfect.
    The idea, for example, is that flesh should look like flesh and not something florescent and bright.
    Football fields should look like natural green grass not cosmic green.
    I cant stand what most people find an attractive picture.
    Less is more.

Top Bottom