• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1Andy2

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Beeville
    "So here's the deal. We start over in Congress. From scratch, no exceptions, not one. Every single member of Congress, all incumbents in both the House and Senate, must be blown out of office in their next election cycle. Every one, even the good ones."

I stopped reading right there. Why make no exceptions? Throw the few good ones out with the rest? Intentionally? Thats stupid.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I am in agreement for the whole rearranging Congress part. Congress has been derelict in "it's" duties for far too long, and it has seriously undermined the founding principles of this country in basically every manner.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    1Andy2;13519 I stopped reading right there. Why make no exceptions? Throw the few good ones out with the rest? Intentionally? Thats stupid.[/quote said:
    If we make exceptions it will defeat the whole idea. What you consider a "good" one I might not and vise versa. We would be right back where we started.:confused:

planorick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    The problem I see is that to replace them, you have to have someone running worth voting for or you're right back where you started.

1Andy2

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Beeville
    If we make exceptions it will defeat the whole idea. What you consider a "good" one I might not and vise versa. We would be right back where we started.:confused:

If we don't agree on what makes a "good" one, then how are we going to get "good" ones elected at all?

The point of voting for Representatives is to vote for the ones you want to represent you or your State in congress. Not to simply throw the old ones out.

A better idea might be term limits. Two consecutive terms for congressman with the ability to run again after skipping a term.

No consecutive terms for Senators, but they can run again after skipping a term.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    If we don't agree on what makes a "good" one, then how are we going to get "good" ones elected at all?

The point of voting for Representatives is to vote for the ones you want to represent you or your State in congress. Not to simply throw the old ones out.

A better idea might be term limits. Two consecutive terms for congressman with the ability to run again after skipping a term.

No consecutive terms for Senators, but they can run again after skipping a term.

I agree. Term limits are the way to go but I doubt seriously that they would ever pass such a bill. I also would like our elected officials to be put back on social security retirement instead of their cushy, taxpayer paid retirement program they voted in for themselves. They have all kinds of perks we don't generally know about. Being in federal elected office is like winning the lottery.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Or we could just do congress like they do jury duty. Pull 435 registered{legally} voters from a pool and have them serve 2 years and NO MORE.

If they are selected give them the option to not serve, but at the expense of their citizenship. They can still live here but will be reduced in stature to the equivalent of a resident alien{complete with green card}

No retirement plan, or any of the other lifetime perks Congresscritters get.

It kills the lobbyists in one fell swoop, and what is the worst that can happen................ No one can agree on anything and no new laws get passed

Just a thought.

1Andy2

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Beeville
    Amend the Constitution to put in term limits.

Do so without the participation or approval of the Federal congress. It can be done.

The States would simply call a Constitutional convention to propose amendments. If enough delegates approved the measure, it would then go to the several State legislatures for ratification. If enough States ratified it, the Constitution would then be accordingly amended. No Federal say in the matter, whatsoever.

This is a valid method for amending the Constitution, tho it has never been tried, to my knowledge.

ambidextrous1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think we should be very careful when considering amendments to the Constitution for the United States of America. Too many amendments have had a negative impact in the past 100 years.

A Constitutional Convention has the potential for being a "runaway convention", where many changes are added to the original agenda.

Beware the unintended consequences of hasty actions...:eek:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    "Remember that the only good politician is one who is retired or expired!"

One of my grandmother's favorite sayings along with "Never vote for the incumbant; if they haven't stolen enough in one term, they're just greedy."

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom