• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Speckled king snake eating what looks like a rat snake? 100% sure it's not a copperhead.

ETA:
    Speckled King Snake eating a Western Rat Snake. both non-venomous

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yep. I donated a full grown Speckled King to the Nature Center that I found on the side of my house and they made a display specimen out of it.

And, of course , I have a Texas ratsnake, ( I call her a Texas because that's what they called them when I caught it) AKA Western ratsnake as a pet.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    yep, think we had this discussion. The animal people said "**** it" one day and lumped a bunch of rat snakes together a few years ago. Texas rat snake used to be different.
    Yep. I donated a full grown Speckled King to the Nature Center that I found on the side of my house and they made a display specimen out of it.

And, of course , I have a Texas ratsnake, ( I call her a Texas because that's what they called them when I caught it) AKA Western ratsnake as a pet.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    yep, think we had this discussion. The animal people said "**** it" one day and lumped a bunch of rat snakes together a few years ago. Texas rat snake used to be different.

Not exactly a discussion, but you did set me straight on the proper nomenclature. I am pretty knowledgeable about reptiles, but that was news to me.

Thanks.

Are you sure it was animal people and not Democrats???

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Not exactly a discussion, but you did set me straight on the proper nomenclature. I am pretty knowledgeable about reptiles, but that was news to me.

Thanks.

Are you sure it was animal people and not Democrats???
    lol no the dems wanted 38 species of Texas ratsnake

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Is this a copperhead? Killed it in the yard.
    WP_20180901_10_53_33_Pro.jpg

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    That’s what I look for too (& the more triangular shape of the head - as opposed to oval shape). As a juvenile they have a bright yellow ‘flash’ on their tail (still venomous at a young age). That one doesn’t seem to have the flash completely faded..... which, of course, leads to the question: where’s the mother?

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    The other thing is the tail. A rat snake has a pointed tail and a copperhead a blunt tail. I saw that in the original picture but wasn't sure about the markings.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    That’s what I look for too (& the more triangular shape of the head - as opposed to oval shape). As a juvenile they have a bright yellow ‘flash’ on their tail (still venomous at a young age). That one doesn’t seem to have the flash completely faded..... which, of course, leads to the question: where’s the mother?

Yep, unless it has the red and yellow rings, or recently escaped from captivity, the easiest way to determine venomous vs. non venomous is that triangular pit viper head. Many non venomous snakes try to imitate venomous snakes, which, may help them with a lot of predators ......but not Hugh mans. Homey don't play that!

It's unfortunate, and it's almost never mistaking venomous for non-venomous, but whatcha gonna do? But the head is key.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom