• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kbear

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I have supported a local gun shop in my home town for years and have made several in store purchases over the years; handguns, long guns and ammo.

They have gotten big time and set big tables up at gun shows. I was interested in a handgun, but did not have cash on hand. I thought "no problem" I'll pick up some cash and pop in to the store next week for the purchase. When I got to the store I was told that the same hand gun was $65 more. When I asked why, the clerk said they have gun show prices, internet prices and in store prices. In store being the most expensive.

I told them I'd been a customer for years and supported there shop when it was small and local, was there any way I could get the gun show price. The clerk told me there was NO HAGGLING! Haggling my ass, they will never get another dime from me.

Am I wrong to feel this way?
    Guns International

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Nope your not wrong. A gun should be the same price no matter where its at. I've found my last 2 guns at gungenie.com for less than local shops want for the same gun. I don't agree with the price changes from a gunshow to the shop either. I think that if they advertise a price at a gunshow that would be the price all the time. I can see lowering prices at gun shows for certain items, but I would think guns should be sold at retail value regardless of location.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I order on the internet to save on the tax.I usually pay $20 for shipping and $20 transfer fee.I also get a good price when I order online so even with the shipping and transfer fee I get a great deal.I bought a Para 1911 for $570 on the internet then saw the same gun for $799 at a gunshop.$200 profit is wrong , I work at a good gunshop that gets only about $25 to $50 profit.I know times are hard but trying to get more money from the customer is wrong.I also work at the gunshows but our prices are already lower than our competitors.The only thing I see that is wrong with the gunshows is that once you leave with your gun they do not know you if you have a problem.I like dealing with Davidsons(gungenie)because of the lifetime replacement but their prices are high.I get good deals from centerfiresystems and budsgunshop.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    +1 I do not how cheaperthandirt.com started selling guns but the prices are outrageous.Cdnn and J&G are ok but they never seem to have what I want in stock.

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    $200 profit is wrong
    How is that wrong? Is something wrong with free market? If the retailer has too much margin, he will go out of business, same as if he has too little margin. When there are willing buyers, is something wrong with profit?

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I am not against profit but outrageous profit seems to be the norm lately.Thats why I shop via the web.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I order on the internet to save on the tax.I usually pay $20 for shipping and $20 transfer fee.I also get a good price when I order online so even with the shipping and transfer fee I get a great deal.I bought a Para 1911 for $570 on the internet then saw the same gun for $799 at a gunshop.$200 profit is wrong , I work at a good gunshop that gets only about $25 to $50 profit.I know times are hard but trying to get more money from the customer is wrong.I also work at the gunshows but our prices are already lower than our competitors.The only thing I see that is wrong with the gunshows is that once you leave with your gun they do not know you if you have a problem.I like dealing with Davidsons(gungenie)because of the lifetime replacement but their prices are high.I get good deals from centerfiresystems and budsgunshop.

Certain dealers online offer free shipping so I try to find one that has free shipping when I buy. I also try to find the dealers with the lowest transfer fees. Doesn't cost that much to do 5 minutes of paperwork, normally shouldn't even take that long.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Also try Welcome to SportingArms.com, your source for discount firearms, ammo, and accessories. Brands such as Browning, Kimber, Remington, Sigarms, Colt, Winchester and more.

They beat out of state on-line prices on Kimbers I had quoted. They're here in the DFW area and re great people to deal with either in person if you're lucky to be close enough, or on-line. They are a Kimber Master dealer which is why they can do so well on Kimbers.

I've discovered a lot of people in forums around the country that have used them for years with great luck.

You'll pay tax, but I still found Becky and Tom had better pricing, and the pull of Master Dealer.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Also try Welcome to SportingArms.com, your source for discount firearms, ammo, and accessories. Brands such as Browning, Kimber, Remington, Sigarms, Colt, Winchester and more.

They beat out of state on-line prices on Kimbers I had quoted. They're here in the DFW area and re great people to deal with either in person if you're lucky to be close enough, or on-line. They are a Kimber Master dealer which is why they can do so well on Kimbers.

I've discovered a lot of people in forums around the country that have used them for years with great luck.

You'll pay tax, but I still found Becky and Tom had better pricing, and the pull of Master Dealer.

Thanks for the link to that site. I checked it out a few minutes ago, and they've got some great prices. I shouldn't have looked though I'm gonna end up buying another gun that I don't need right now LOL.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Thanks for the link to that site. I checked it out a few minutes ago, and they've got some great prices. I shouldn't have looked though I'm gonna end up buying another gun that I don't need right now LOL.

Be sure to call or email Becky for prices as well. They list prices for everything they can, but some require MAP pricing.

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    I've bought guns from both local shops as well as internet.
    Haven't tried gungenie.com yet, but have had really good luck on auctionarms.com; gunsamerica.com; and gunbroker.com.

As for not haggling, if I can't get the price down, then I don't do business. They are in a sense working for you when you buy, and if they don't want to deal, then they don't make money...at least that is my philosophy. I know what I'm willing to give and If I can't get that price, well there will always be another chance down the line, especially with the economy like it is today.

Fisherman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    So long as it was the same one they had at the show, they should sell it for the same price. If not, then they just missed a sell, and while someone else may be along later, they will never get that one they missed to you back. Plus, most folks you mention it to, will likely not do business with them either.

It is sad, but it seems there are fewer quality gun shops with quality people running them all the time.

I am all for supporting my local shop, but if they want my business they need to be just as polite and helpful the days I don't buy anything as on the days I do. They also need to either give correct information or none at all. Basically, I will pay a few extra dollars to support the local shop, but they have to actually give me better service than I can get elsewhere. I am not going to pay more simply because they are local, but I will pay slightly more, if the service is actually better.

TJ Willy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    Buds does have good prices. If it means 20 bucks more (after all is said and done) to buy at a gun store I would like to have a relationship with so be it.

But 100 bucks more is just too much for me.

I prefer a FTF over all the OP suggestions. Slightly used is ok by me.

vanguard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Commerce, Georgia
    man i know how you feel. i live in a small town in Georgia and the only place to buy guns (unless i drive 26 miles one way) is this pawn shop,well i have bought 7 guns from them this year,they charge $30.00 over msrp.the last two times i bought a gun two weeks ago and this week i try to get a break on the prices, i never can. i buy guns on layaway from them and get them in about a month, they will only give me a break if i pay cash she said,i dont think that is fair. but this place is right across the street from where i work, so i pay the prices.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    The thing some of you aren't considering is that as long as a shop has somehting in inventory, it's costing them money. Thus, lower inventories and no break on lay away as they now not only have something in inventory, but they can't sell it and have no guarantee the lay away will complete.

Also, the shop, like any business, has to manage their inventory and some gun shops do that with gun shows and offering much lower prices there only. Whatever the reason, they have a reason and it's their right and obligation to their business. They, like everyone, usually have to manage cost down in order to not increase price to maintain a competitive price without killing their bottom line.

The biggest problem is that you might be surprised at what money they actually make on guns. Dealer status, such as Kimber Master Dealer affords them better pricing and priority but they must maintain certain sales levels. It's not easy. A shop that goes through a distributor, like most do, doesn't have a lot to work with, thus prices may be more firm, and higher than some shops. Yet the dealer with direct buying and better prices takes advantage of the pricing and passes it on thus getting more business/more volume.

Their are a-holes in every business. But too many consumers have this elitist, "kiss my rear end as I enter your store or I'll walk and give that $30 profit to another shop" doesn't do anyone any good. I'm a tightwad but I try real hard to consider everything before I walk away from one place for another and realize the price is only part of the deal.

Top Bottom